Cara's Reviews > Every Soul a Star

Sep 23, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, realistic-fiction, male-protagonist
Recommended for: Jerry Spinelli fans and Astronomy buffs
Read in September, 2010

Wendy Mass has a particular style that I think people either get or not. I have to say some of the time I don't get into her books, but I can honestly say I was happy that I read this one.

Ally, Bree, and Jack are all very different and under noraml circumstances would never meet, but one event will bring them all together, the solar eclipse. This event will be witnessed at the Moon Shadow which is Ally's home. Bree is being dragged there by force, who wants to commune with the stars anyhow? Jack is going to fulfill his obligation of making up a class. They all come into the story with different backgrounds and perspectives, and have distinct voices but they all work well together. I think one of the hardest audiences to write for is the middle graders. You can't sound too preacy, gotta keep it interesting, keep it real, but most of all relate to them. It's a pretty trying time and here we get to see how they all come to grow up and learn from each other.

I've never taken an astronomy class in my life but I think I got my fill from this book. The author did an excellent job of describing the solar eclipse and I could imagine the thrill they must have had from witnessing one. It is pretty awesome.

The only thing I felt was overdone was Bree. I actually don't think there are girls who fit that stereotype, though I could be wrong. She is the character that shows the most dramatic transformation, but they all show growth. I hate to describe things as cute and I wanted to use that word, but that isn't quite it. Ok, I'll go with it was sweet story that spoke truly about how you find friends in the most unlikely situations and places.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Soul a Star.

01/04 marked as: read

message 1: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin wait hold up. what is this really about? cause all is says is something about and eclipes then it says these kids lives change that doesnt give me anything... what is it about?

Cara Well the snyposis isn't too detailed because it would give away the whole thing. But it is about three different kids that witness this solar eclipse but also how interacting with each other changes them as well. Sorry I can't say more about it because then it would spoil it.

message 3: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin oh thanks :) i was so confussed

Melissa how am I supposed to read this book someone plz answer me?

Cara Hello Melissa, I guess I am confused by your question. Are you trying to obtain a copy of the book? I usually check out my books from the library. Buying books can get expensive so that's what I do:)

Charlotte Loved this book! I liked the different personalities of the characters. Except I always looked forward to reading bree's passages.

message 7: by Alexandria (new) - added it

Alexandria I love her books I have read all instead of this one can you please send me it

Cara Sorry Alexandria I actually do not own the book, I checked it out of my local library and don't have a copy to send.

Every Soul This books sucks dick like seriously bruh, no good romance no good plot no good plot twist stereo types, this is coming from a student (actually several) this book is terrible, especially if we are forced to read it