Ruth's Reviews > Sunrise Over Texas

Sunrise Over Texas by M.J. Fredrick

Sep 23, 2010

bookshelves: western-cowboy, non-aristo-historical-romance, regency-victorian, historical-romance

I really enjoyed this book. It's a great, well-written western with a number of different twists. The location is Texas but the protagonists are essentially city/rural Louisiana folks who have found themselves in the Texas wilderness in the middle of winter, although I don't want to suggest they are incapable of looking after themselves.

There is a great sense of reality with this book, which I particularly liked. The main secondary characters (MIL and SIL) are irritating beyond belief, and whereas in other books, the heroine may have followed through on the temptation to snap at them and put them in their place (and boy, more than once I really wished she had), she swallows her feelings and comments, in the much the way we all have to in life. The heroine is an extremely capable woman, in many respects much more capable than the hero, but he isn't weak or useless. Towards the end the hero does push the heroine away, but, for me, considering how the story is written, how the plot develops and the experiences of the hero and heroine, it feels a realistic reaction for him to have. Not "heroic" but realistic all the same. I don't have a problem with it.

However, the main reason why I gave this one 5 stars is that the story is about two people who find each other in desperate circumstances, but whom have both really loved before. Quite often the plot in HRs revolves around the hero/heroine thinking they were in love before they met, but then realising their previous experiences were not love at all. Well, that's not the case here. The hero really did, and still does, passionately love his wife, and the heroine really loved her husband. Their struggles revolve around their guilt at finding another chance, and at finding it so soon after terrible tragedy, something I can, if not relate to, then certainly understand.

Great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunrise Over Texas.

09/29/2010
50.0% "Fabulous book so far."

Rane Great Review Ruth! I loved this story to, I just wanted to kick Trace in the butt toward the end though! >_<

Ruth Oooh me too!!

But I actually understood why he pulled away. It would have been perfect if he'd done the heroic thing, but this way was so much more realistic, with the whole family-class deal, and the husband thing (I don't want to give anything away). I think it was the way it was written. It's just the kind of reaction some people have when they can't deal with their emotions. I bought it. But he was still a prat.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Great review Ruth!So glad this is a good one as I downloaded it,thanks for taking the time to review it for us:)

Ruth You are more than welcome!