Jann's Reviews > The Pocket Wife

The Pocket Wife by Susan H. Crawford

it was ok

I haven't really been that hooked on any "psychological thrillers" since Gone Girl and the Silent Wife. So, I really wanted to like this. But, I found the writing went into too much detail about the physical surroundings and not enough on character development. At one point, it was raining every day in the protagonist's hometown, as if the reader didn't get the message that the weather represented the woman's mental state of mind.

I also didn't really connect with any of the characters, not even the detective who was written to be likeable. There was no empathy built for the victim as she remained a two-dimensional character throughout the book. Right before the climax, I already knew who the killer was and I scanned the rest of the book after that point. Overall, I think I'm done with this emerging genre of psychological thrillers as they all seem to be following the same cliches. Unstable housewife. Cheating jerk of a husband. Veteran detective. May be time to broaden my horizon when it comes to books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pocket Wife.

March 18, 2015 – Shelved
March 18, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 24, 2015 – Started Reading
March 30, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Tina Interesting view!

Jann Thanks Tina! I actually went against my word and read the good girl by Mary Kubica. It was a much better read and I recommend it for those who love the genre

Nancy I just got this to start today. But, like you, I thought Silent Wife was fantastic!