Book Gannet's Reviews > Something About a Cowboy

Something About a Cowboy by Sarah M. Anderson

bookshelves: 4-star-review, contemporary-romance, novella

The short, fun NotMy1stRodeo.com series ends in fine style with my favourite of the bunch. Despite the fact that the vast majority of this book takes place over one night, it still manages to be sweet, very sexy and also quite sad. While everyone else in the series hasn’t had the best of luck with marriage (apart from Jacy who’s never been married at all) Mack’s marriage was wonderful. In fact he married his high school sweetheart and was very happy, until cancer stole her away. Even six years on he still loves his wife and isn’t totally ready to move on, but his sons have other ideas.

Enter Karen, who isn’t interested in marriage. In fact, after the number her ex did on her, all she wants is a man to desire her and think she’s beautiful. Luckily Mack does and the two of them are soon flirting up a storm. What follows is sensual and sexy and pretty full on, considering that Mack is an older man (46 to her 33), but they make it work pretty well.

Then comes the morning after, and the whole issue of dealing with an attraction to someone new when Mack hasn’t entirely let go of the old. And that for me was where the sadness came in. Sorry, Karen, it didn’t have anything to do with you, but the scene where Mack finds a photo is just so touching. The short nature of the story doesn’t exactly leave room for a prolonged exploration of grief, yet I think it worked pretty well. Of course I would have liked it to be longer – I liked this characters, I really enjoyed this story, why wouldn’t I want more? – but I wasn’t left feeling that anything had been rushed or crammed in. The ending is a bit abrupt, but I think it worked perfectly with the rest of the tale.

In all this steamy story is about more than just sex, but short enough to still provide a quick, sexy read. It fits in nicely with the rest of the series, and definitely left me wanting more – from this author, and if at any point there was more about Mack’s three boys, I certainly wouldn’t complain…

(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something About a Cowboy.

March 18, 2015 – Shelved