Sarah's Reviews > The Search for WondLa

The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi

Sep 23, 2010

bookshelves: books-i-own-print, signed, for-review-read, read-in-2011

Eva Nine has spent her life in her underground home being raised by robot Muthr, she has never seen another human and has never even been outside. Muthr has been training her for life above ground so that she can search for others like her but her training is cut short when they come under attack. Forced to flee from everything she has ever known Eva soon realises that nothing above ground is what she expected. Can she survive long enough to find other humans?

The Search for WondLa is a great science fiction adventure story for children, I can see it making great bedtime reading for families or being enjoyed by slightly older children who have discovered the joy of reading for themselves. The illustrations throughout make this a treat to read, they are beautifully drawn and really help to bring the wonderful array of characters to life. I would love to have just half the imagination and drawing ability of Tony DiTerlizzi! You can also find additional information and interactive features on the website that just add to the reading experience.

Eva is a likable character she has led a very sheltered life but is extremely brave and caring. Although life above ground is nothing like what she was expecting she quickly adapts and soon begins to make friends. I loved her relationship with robot Muthr who is the only mother figure she has ever known, Muthr can be overprotective like any mother and there is friction between them at times but they care deeply for each other. Another favourite character was Otto, I'm not going to say too much about him but he is like an adorable puppy and I want one.

The Search for WondLa is a real treat for kids of all ages (even grown up ones!) and I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Search for WondLa.

September 23, 2010 – Shelved