Ms. Yingling's Reviews > Don't Stay Up Late

Don't Stay Up Late by R.L. Stine

it was ok

E ARC from Netgalley.com

Lisa is a rather bratty high schooler, and her bad behavior results in her father's death in a car accident. Lisa and her mother are injured, but Lisa's injuries are more psychological. She hallucinates quite a bit-- seeing her dead father, her missing dog, and other odd things. She sees a therapist, who suggests that Lisa would benefit from constructive work, so Lisa ends up babysitting Brenda's son, Harry, at their house on Fear Street. Harry is a delightful child, but Brenda cautions Lisa that he should not be allowed to stay up late. Lisa hallucinates while watching Harry, thinking that she is seeing a creature in the house, and later other teenagers turn up dead. Lisa's boyfriend Nate tries to help Lisa, but it turns out that he has known Brenda and Harry for longer than he will admit. In the end, there are deep secrets behind Brenda's family life that are not unusual for someone who lives on Fear Street.
Strengths: Stine in hardback. Sort of a can't lose book. I saw the "twist" coming miles away, and students might as well, but the majority of the scary parts are unlikely, which is what draws readers to Stine. Will definitely purchase.
Weaknesses: Killing Lisa's father was unnecessary and seemed cruel. Again, plot fairly transparent. Not the best quality of writing I have ever read.
What I really think: Meh. Not my sort of thing, and more painful than other Stine books, but I'll buy it for that small but loyal section of readers who make me keep almost two shelves full of rotting, twenty year old paperbacks because they love Stine so much!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Stay Up Late.

Started Reading