Steve Vernon's Reviews > The Awful Mess

The Awful Mess by Sandra Hutchison

Mar 17, 2015

bookshelves: e-book, romance

All right, so let me set the stage.

First off, I am a writer of horror.

HOWEVER, lately I have been kicking around the notion of writing myself a romance novel.

Why?

Well, for starters I have to blame it on my wife. She keeps asking me just why does a fellow who has actually read THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY three times because he enjoyed it; who yells at his television when he doesn't think that unrequited lovers are moving fast enough - "KISS HER, YOU IDJIT. JUST TELL HER YOU LOVE HER!"; and who got choked up watching the romantic conclusion to the final episode of the fifth season of DOWNTON ABBEY.

So, I decided that if I was going to TRY to write a romance novel I had better start reading some of them as reference. Well, I have read a few so far and have a few more downloaded on my Kobo.

But let me tell you about THE AWFUL MESS.

I knew that this was a love story. It says so right on the front cover. But somehow as I started to read I began to wonder just what sort of a novel I was reading.

The one thing was for certain - I could not STOP reading it.

The book has a gentle gravitational pull that just draws you into the story. The protagonist has a charming and oddly compelling voice.

But is it a LOVE STORY?

AT first I began to worry that it was a Christian novel. Not that I have anything against Christian novels. Actually, I have written a couple myself - but I was looking for a contemporary romance and I wasn't particularly looking for a CHRISTIAN romance.

But there was a priest and a question of faith and even a semi-mad wife who might as well have been locked up Bronte-style in the attic.

BUT - as the author herself makes a point of noting - this is NOT particularly a Christian novel.

AUTHOR'S WARNING - (as cribbed from the Kindle posting for this novel - "This book contains some religious themes, but if you require piety and reverence in such matters, this is not the book for you. Skeptics, you will probably be able to cope."

I should warn you folks that this novel DOES have a couple of hot scenes. Heck, there are at least three entirely hot chapters.

Mind you, I am NOT talking about smut. These were hot love scenes partly on account of my not expecting them and partly on account of their totally believable "ordinary-ness".

And I know that "ordinary-ness" ISN'T really a word - but that's the wonderful thing about writing - you get to make up words whenever want to.

Funny thing was, I hadn't expected those hot scenes, even though the cover had a picture of a naked woman on it.

If memory serves me the first hot chapter was around chapter ten. It might have been nine or it might have been eleven - but I want to warn you readers to be ready for this chapter.

I wasn't.

I was on my way to work on a really cold and snowy morning when I came across that first hot chapter and after reading it discretely tucked in the shadows of my black pea coat I had to ask the fellow sitting beside me to give me a cigarette.

"But you can't smoke on the bus," that fellow said.

"I know that," I said. "I don't even actually smoke, but this chapter I just read was so hot I feel I ought to take up the practice."

So he took a look at my e-reader and read that chapter and then lit up two cigarettes - Paul Henreid style, for those folks who remember Bette Davis in NOW, VOYAGER - and we sat there and smoked.

Only then the bus driver pulled the bus over to the nearest snow drift and told me that we weren't allowed to smoke on the bus.

So I showed him the chapter.

He sat there and read it aloud to the rest of the passengers on the bus and then he started up the bus and drove us all to the nearest tobacco shop where he purchased a carton of cigarettes and treated EVERYONE on the bus to a smoke, even the lady with the purse puppy chihuahua - who displayed an odd preference for menthol cigarettes.

So make a note of that.

Sandra Hutchison causes cancer.

That cover kept on confusing me. I kept waiting through the whole book for that woman to get into the water - and it turned out that is exactly what the book is about.

I am not going to tell you anymore about this novel - except to say that if you are looking for a oddly compelling read you might want to try this one.

If you are looking for a romance - only you HATE reading romance novels - then you REALLY ought to take a look at this one.

In fact, don't just take a look at it.

Hit that order button and BUY IT NOW!

Yours in storytelling,
Steve Vernon
(author of over 40 e-books all available on Kobo)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awful Mess.

Finished Reading