✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)'s Reviews > Killbox

Killbox by Ann Aguirre

bookshelves: science-fiction, poof-gone-harem, cool-kick-ass-chicks-harem, br-2015, absolute-favourites, 2015, i-used-to-hate-space
Recommended for: Humans. Bugs. Flesh-eating aliens. The whole universe.

BR with my fellow junkies Shelly & Jaime. Because we're Jax addicts. There's no hope for us at this point.

On and on and on it goes. BAM! 5 stars again. Yep, you got that right. Four books. Four 5-star ratings in a row. English-speaking pigs are now flying. So are Spanish donkeys. And French hens now have teeth. This is the stuff of legends.

(view spoiler)(view spoiler)

▧ Hold on ▧ It seems we have a problem here ▧ You know why? I'm not sure I can do this reviewing thing anymore. This series is just too much. So I think it's minimalistic review time. Well, as minimalistic as any review of mine can get anyway. Which isn't minimalistic at all considering what most people consider minimalistic (view spoiler). So here we are again. Short review threat. Rejoice. Maracas. All… — Oops, wait, it seems we have an incoming transmission from the future.

"Well hello there, this is Sarah From the Future talking. I just finished writing this review and let me tell you, I lied. It won't be minimalistic. Then again you didn't think it would be, did you? Please tell me you're not that naïve. You know I can't be trusted. Now back to our regular uninformative review."
❂ So. We will no longer pretend this will be a short review (view spoiler). But I know just how much you all love playing with your maracas so I'll indulge you one more time.

Happy? Can we move on now? Thank you.

❂ Sounds deceptively like my review for Doubleblind? It should. And you better get used to it. We still have two instalments to go. Prepare to suffer. Especially since some of us MacHalo Freaks made it our mission to unleash Sirantha Jax on the known universe. Just thought I'd warn you. Out of the ♥ goodness of my heart ♥ and all that.

❂ So. Since I already fangirled like a maniac over Grimspace, Wanderlust and Doubleblind, I won’t bother telling you how phenomenal-amazing-oh my God this will be the death of me-fantastic-exhausting-nerve racking-brilliant-exasperating-awesome-oh no you don't-maddening-astonishing-please do something I can't take it anymore-heart stopping-sensational-stressful-oh my God I think I might cry any minute now-thrilling-sad-argh-exciting-Ann Aguirre you are going to be the death of me.-phenomenal Killbox is. No I won’t. I’m not like that (view spoiler).

Instead, I proudly bring to you:

Well I call it the awesome list anyway. You might call it the boring list. Or the doesn't make any sense list. Or the I don't care list. But to me it's still the awesome list <-- yes, you are absolutely right in thinking I have lost my mind.

★★ And get ready because this review is about to become *almost* informative (well sort of) ★★

❂ Killbox is about: war, science, friendship, jumping, commanders, smugglers, abnegation, love, martial law, thieves, AIs, secret weapons, cataclysmic events, implants, biomechanics, creepy flesh-eating aliens, sacrifice, ✘✘ STOP. You are allowed to take a breath HERE. Feel better? Let's go ✘✘ red clouds, humanity, heartbreak, outlaws, death, armadas, brown birds, hope (or lack thereof), white waves, homecoming, chaos, rebels, space battles, war widows, cavalry, trust, worlds falling, humanity & survival.

✉✉ Looks like it's time for some not-so-private messages ✉✉

@ Doc: serves you right.

@ Hit: stay cool.

@ Vel, Dina: I love you.

Yes, this is really me using cute heart gifs and memes for the second time in this review. Some creepy alien kidnapped the cold-hearted cynic in me and let the Fluffy Bunny out. *And* I'm afraid reading this series is resulting in permanent brain damage for me (view spoiler).

@ March: you're aggravating, but not an asshole *sigh* You like playing hero way too much. You can be a total idiot. But I don't care. You're mine (view spoiler).

@ Jax: YOU RULE.

► None of this makes much sense to you now does it? I can't say I'm surprised. But there's an easy enough solution to that. And I really shouldn't even have to tell you what it is at this point but:

READ THIS SERIES. You need it in your life. Yes you do.

Minimalistic review over.
Aftermath awaits.
Bye now.

Grimspace ★★★★★
Wanderlust ★★★★★
Doubleblind ★★★★★
Aftermath
Endgame ★ (DNF at 20%)

We're the MacHalo Freaks. We put the fun in dysfunctional.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killbox.

March 17, 2015 – Started Reading
March 17, 2015 – Shelved
March 17, 2015 – Shelved as: science-fiction
March 17, 2015 – Shelved as: poof-gone-harem
March 17, 2015 – Shelved as: cool-kick-ass-chicks-harem
March 17, 2015 – Shelved as: br-2015
March 18, 2015 –
11.0% "“What happened?” “March went back for you,” Vel says. Dina adds, “And I went for him.” “And I went out for her,” Hit finishes. There’s something sweet, if suicidal, in this.\n \n Favourite gang of suicidal maniacs ever.\n \n "
March 18, 2015 –
17.0% "Men always want to be remembered whereas women realize that requires being dead.\n \n Repeat after me: Jax rules.\n \n "
March 19, 2015 –
33.0% "I am the jump. And you will take me there. There’s titanium inside me. I will not be denied. This is my world, and here, I am queen.\n \n Sirantha Jax,\n \n "
March 19, 2015 –
55.0% "Please noooooooo!!!!! This is too much!!!\n \n "
March 20, 2015 –
93.0% "The red cloud claims this world.\n \n "
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: absolute-favourites
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015
March 20, 2015 – Finished Reading
December 30, 2015 – Shelved as: i-used-to-hate-space

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

JAIME Who picked this series for BR? I love them. I don't want this to end....

Sh3lly I can't get enough!

message 3: by Mindy (new)

Mindy You guys are reading like the wind! I can't believe how fast you're blowing through this series. I'm so happy you're enjoying these. I couldn't wait to read these.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) I think Angela mentioned it first in one of the threads. I'm thinking of building an Angela shrine in my living room right now.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Mindy wrote: "You guys are reading like the wind! I can't believe how fast you're blowing through this series. I'm so happy you're enjoying these. I couldn't wait to read these."

READ THIS SERIES NOW.

JAIME oOSarahOo wrote: "I think Angela mentioned it first in one of the threads. I'm thinking of building an Angela shrine in my living room right now."

I will build a shrine of her in my heart.

Sh3lly I was wondering who put this up for the nomination! Definitely a shrine for Angela.

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ Amazing review, Sarah! I'm so glad you found a series you love!! :)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ I'm completely prepared for the last two. Go, Sarah, (view spoiler) Great review! And I didn't eyeroll. Nope. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal We turned you into a space opera fan :-)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "Amazing review, Sarah! I'm so glad you found a series you love!! :)"

Thanks dear!;o) The problem is, I only have two more books to read before the series ends *starts sobbing uncontrollably*

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Alienor ☠ is stuck on the Jellicoe Road ☠ wrote: "I'm completely prepared for the last two. Go, Sarah, [spoilers removed] Great review! And I didn't eyeroll. Nope. [spoilers removed] ♥"

So you like my minimalistic review huh? Thanks;o) Well, I have to say I'm kind of disappointed you didn't eyeroll. I guess it means I'll have to try harder next time^^ (view spoiler)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Anna wrote: "We turned you into a space opera fan :-)"

YES! Who would have thought haha?! Ann Aguirre must be a magician;o)

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna Erishkigal There is some really good science fiction out there written by women, but it's hard to find because it tends to sink in the male dominated hardcore science-fiction sub-categories on Amazon, while categorizing it as 'science fiction romance' doesn't do justice to the complicated worldbuilding and subplots. You'll see it crop up occasionally if you look under 'Science Fiction - Space Opera' on Amazon and look for books written by women authors.

I have this Girls With Guns Space Opera listopia you might enjoy? Grimspace is on that list.

message 15: by Markus (new)

Markus Hmmm, write a couple more five-star reviews Sarah, and I'll consider adding this :P

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Anna wrote: "There is some really good science fiction out there written by women, but it's hard to find because it tends to sink in the male dominated hardcore science-fiction sub-categories on Amazon, while c..."

I bookmarked your list the other day but haven't had time to check it out yet. I'll be reading Fortune's Pawn soon though and I think it's pretty high on the list;)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Markus wrote: "Hmmm, write a couple more five-star reviews Sarah, and I'll consider adding this :P"

Haha you drive a hard bargain don't you!? I promise to do my best with the next two reviews;o)

Liz* Fashionably Late Jax did it again!

message 19: by Cathryn (new) - added it

Cathryn Markus wrote: "Hmmm, write a couple more five-star reviews Sarah, and I'll consider adding this :P"

Don't wait for the reviews. Start now!!! I just finished book 2 and loved it.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Liz* wrote: "Jax did it again!"

Jax rules^^ Always^^ Now^^ And forever^^

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Cathryn wrote: "Markus wrote: "Hmmm, write a couple more five-star reviews Sarah, and I'll consider adding this :P"

Don't wait for the reviews. Start now!!! I just finished book 2 and loved it."

YES YES YES! Listen to Cathryn Markus!!

Liz* Fashionably Late Markus wrote: "Hmmm, write a couple more five-star reviews Sarah, and I'll consider adding this :P"

You have to! ^^

message 23: by Markus (new)

Markus Hmmmm u.u

message 24: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ Wow, A for creativity.

Catherine OK, I just finished this yesterday and what a wild ride! I gave it 5 stars but I've been thinking more and more about that ending. (view spoiler)

I've just started the 5th so I know a bit about repercussions and I've got a really bad feeling about this one but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Catheriiiiinnnnne!!!!! I'm sorry it took me so long to post a reply to your comment:/ I'm doing my best to catch up with everything GR-related but not doing a very good job of it:/

Anyway, about that ending. To be honest, I wasn't thinking clearly when I read this. I was too busy fangirling over Jax and the awesomeness of the series haha. So I just ignored a lot of things I would otherwise have found very irritating. Jax's actions at the end of this book being one of them. Thinking about it now, I guess this was an early sign of the debacle to come. Or not. I don't know. As ridiculous as it may sound I'm still grieving over the way this series ended:( Did finish reading the series? What did you think?

Catherine Ha! No apologies necessary Sarah! I'm currently in California for a very short trip to honor my uncle who recently died. Nothing needs to be said, I wasn't really close to him, I'm here more for my father and my cousins, who I've grown closer to over the last few years (my cousins, not my father!) Goodreads has had to take a backseat, as I'm sure you know!

I'm not a reviewer like you. I should try to put things down in writing, if only to get better at organizing my thoughts. (view spoiler)

I'm out of my time zone! I need to sleep and get on a plane.

Sh3lly This series. I love it and I hate it. I love books one through most of book 5. Then, my heart exploded. I'm still in recovery. I think.

message 30: by Cathryn (new) - added it

Cathryn I keep going back and forth about finishing this series. For the most part I'm firmly in the camp of not continuing but every once in awhile I'll think "Maybe it's not as bad as Sarah and Sh3lly say it is." Then I come back to the spoilers and think "Oh HELL no! I'm not putting myself through that."

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) I've been trying to be a bit more active on GR these past few days but that means I didn't read much. I just don't have enough time to do both and have to choose one over the other. It sucks.

Apparently I still haven't recovered from this debacle. Just reading Vel's name in Catherine's message made me feel depressed (view spoiler) Books 1-4 are definitely epic and still some of my favourite books ever. I'm actually considering rereading them. I'll just pretend instalments 5 & 6 never happened.