Mary JL's Reviews > A Rose for Her Grave and Other True Cases

Sep 22, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found at book sale
Recommended for: Patient fans of true crime books
Read from September 22 to 26, 2010

There are stories of six true crimes in this book. The book spends 341 pages on one specific case--the Randy Roth murder trial. The other five case get 200 pages--about forty pages each.

Frankly, the smaller cases were a bit more interesting, because Ms. Rule basically gave a summary of each case, hitting the high points.

For the longest case, the story was written in extensive detail. For example, whenever she tells about the family's moving, she gives the complete street address. Yes, a police report must say, "Officer Whoever arrived at 1:24pm at 123 Main Street" but when repeating the story afterwards, you could paraphrase it. I longed to take a scissors and cut out chucks of detail to tighten the narrative.

The crimes described WERE horrible, and knowing that they were real tragedies was sad. I simply did not care for Ms. Ann Rule's writing style.

Also, occasionally she will add suppositions of her own "PERHAPS he felt...." Such supposition would not be allowed in many courtrooms.

One of my first dips into true crime; I was not overly impressed with this one. Worth reading once if true crime is an interest of your.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rose for Her Grave and Other True Cases.

09/23/2010 page 51
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Ana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ana Luna I love Ann Rule but I do have to agree that sometimes the information is either irrelevant to the reader or repetitive at times.