Rachel's Reviews > Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Sep 22, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in June, 2005

Tip: see the movies first and then read the novels to fill in the blanks.

One of the things that struck me with this book, especially in terms of total story arc, is the instant fascination that Anakin felt for Padme. There was almost no chance that he wouldn't pursue her, given the opportunity.

I think part of the reason his emotional attachment is unusual in the Jedi Order is that Jedi children are normally separated from their parents as infants. They exist outside of a normal family structure; their education and experiences are fundamentally different. Their lives are dedicated to philosophy, service, and subjection to the will of the Force.

By the time Qui-Gon finds him, Anakin was already well on his way to adolescence and had already exerted his will to liberty within the narrow parameters of a slave's life on Tattoine. He'd already come to the conclusion that rules don't necessarily apply to him the same way that they do to others. The foundation was already laid for "the chosen one" to take a path different than the one that the Jedi hoped and expected.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Wars - Episode I.