Martina Villarreal's Reviews > Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

Sep 22, 2010

The movie and the book are vastly different from one another. The movie itself took the major events, subtracted a lot of character detail, and then added some of its own stuff.

I will say that the book doesn't read like a typical book, from start to finish in chronological order. It jumps around in time and point of view. So if you are not the type of person who enjoys such narration, you will not enjoy this book.

I thought the book was excellent. The amount of detail in the book and the way it looks at the different people and time periods is not all fluff like the movie, and yet even though many of these people are not perfect or saints, you still love them. And you understand so much more about Idgie's and Ruth's relationship. I like how the book talks about (spoiler ahead!) Ruth's struggles between her more-than-friendship feelings for Idgie and what society says about how she should feel.

(more spoilers ahead) At the end of the book, Mrs. Threadgoode dies. I feel like this is the better ending. Mrs. Couch undergoes a metamorphosis throughout the course of the book, and when her transformation is complete, Mrs. Threadgoode dies, as if (in my opinion) her tasks on Earth are now completed.

All in all, it is a very enjoyable book. I loved the movie, love the book better, and really like the recipes at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.