Sarah's Reviews > A Literature of Their Own: British Women Novelists From Brontë to Lessing

A Literature of Their Own by Elaine Showalter

Sep 22, 2010

bookshelves: feminism, nonfiction, lit-crit

This basically boils down to a textbook, but it's still a well-written, interesting one. Clearly, Showalter put a lot of love, thought, and research into it, and it shows.

My main critique is that at times, I wished the scope was either much wider, or much smaller. There were many times when Showalter would make minor mentions of an author or a work before moving on to another topic, and I'd be left wishing for more details. Also, the appendix of female author biographies could definitely have been far more detailed.

But still, this was an ambitious project that was well-realized.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Literature of Their Own.

September 22, 2010 – Shelved
January 4, 2011 – Started Reading
January 6, 2011 –
page 73
19.31% "It goes slow, because this is basically a textbook, and so I read it only a chapter at a time, but so far, it is fabulous."
January 7, 2011 –
page 101
26.72% "Reading about the reactions of male critics to the early female novelists makes me so angry that I pretty much want to reach back through time and punch them in their unmentionables."
January 7, 2011 – Shelved as: feminism
January 7, 2011 – Shelved as: nonfiction
January 9, 2011 –
page 133
35.19% "Lots of great insights in this book- right now, she's rather making me want to re-read Jane Eyre."
January 10, 2011 –
page 150
January 10, 2011 –
page 182
48.15% "I've been meaning to read Lady Audley's Secret for years, now I really feel like I need to put it toward the top of my to-read list."
January 11, 2011 –
page 218
57.67% "I do sort of wish she had started with Austen, or featured more about her in this context."
January 20, 2011 – Finished Reading