John's Reviews > Godslayer

Godslayer by Jacqueline Carey

M 50x66
Sep 22, 2010

My dear sister-in-law once said of Romeo and Juliet that it would have been much shorter and happier if the people in it would simply talk to each other. And that is very true of Godslayer. I would like to say that this book is a study of lack of communication and how prejudices can hurt, and that the author meant to say this or that about all kinds of social subjects and that it's all one big allegory for the Civil Rights Movement or something. But I don't think it is. It's just a story, and it's a good story. Occasionally you want to reach through the pages and slap the characters, but they're the characters in the book and not some real life equivalent.

We left our anti-heroes and anti-villains at the end of Banewreaker all tied up in knots over the imminent war that the other side started. No matter who you ask in this series it's always the other side's fault. And they are usually right. Through out Godslayer it becomes increasingly apparent that the "Good" guys started the war to keep up a peaceful, but entirely un-human, status quo in which nothing bad ever happened, but also nothing ever changed, there was no progress. And the "Bad" guys want the war... well, mainly because their Lord wants it. But He wants it because he has actually see the Real Plan, has seen the birth and death of the ages and the worlds and knows that it's all part of a pattern that's meant to happen. And He wants it to happen, even if it means his end. I would have inserted a spoiler alert just there, but the main "baddie", Lord Satoris, comes right out and say just that at the beginning of the book. I think he even says it in Banewreaker at some point. He even tells several people exactly how it's all supposed to go down, but either no one believes him or they don't understand what he's saying. It's as if he says: "The end is nigh, and this is how it will happen." And people hear: "Ham gives you brain worms, so wear pink on Wednesday." Then his underlings and even his enemies hear this and say; "My Lord, I don't understand." and Satoris just gets tired of them and sends them away without bothering to explain.

But who cares. If they got it at first this would be a boring book. Once again the parallels to Tolkien abound, but in even less order than Banewreaker. For those of you versed in Tolkien Lore, you will see the Grey Rider become White at the very beginning of Godslayer/end of Banewreaker, and the ascent of Sauron at the end of Godslayer. The Breaking of the Fellowship halfway through Banewreaker ends with the Chaining of Hurin towards the end of Godslayer. Ms Carey seems to have definitely read and borrowed elements from Tolkien, but put them in her own order to make her own story. (Big readers of Robert Jordan could see this as the events of Middle Earth on another turning of the Wheel of Time. [psst! I did])

So the verdict is in and it is good. Read these books. It won't take you very long and you'll feel better about yourself when you're done.

Unless you have to have a happy ending. Then don't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Godslayer.

September 22, 2010 – Shelved
October 11, 2010 – Started Reading
October 11, 2010 –
page 102
October 12, 2010 –
page 171
October 12, 2010 –
page 176
42.31% "The hardcover only has 349 pages."
October 24, 2010 – Finished Reading