Logan Hughes's Reviews > Hidden Order: The Economics of Everyday Life

Hidden Order by David D. Friedman

15052079

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, frugal-bagel-interest

From the title/cover/description, I was expecting a pop-sci, layman-oriented romp through economics with a tight focus on, well, the economics of everyday life: shopping, working for compensation, giving, children's allowances, etc. That's sort of what this is, and I think the author thinks he's writing for a layman audience, but it gets pretty deep into economic theory with lots of charts and figures which lost me pretty quickly. Some of the examples focus on everyday life situations, but just as many don't, getting into the broader ideas of how economic theory applies to firms, nations, and entire economies. It's interesting, but the focus in the title really isn't there in the book. The title also tantalizingly promises a look beneath the curtain at how things really work, but, just like your Econ 101 class in college, this really sticks to traditional theory and doesn't flesh out the messy details that make the theories not work as expected in practice. If you're expecting an Econ 101 textbook, this is entertaining and fun; if you're looking for a fluffy and mildly educational book to read on the subway on the way to work, this is probably too dense.

More readable: The Undercover Economist is a more entertaining introduction to many of the same concepts, and Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions can't be beat for fun and readability although it has a slightly different focus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Order.

Started Reading