AH's Reviews > Stolen Fury

Stolen Fury by Elisabeth Naughton

Sep 22, 2010

bookshelves: kobo-freebies, first-in-series, ebook, greek-mythology, zzread-dec-2010, romantic-suspense, babr-reviews
Read from December 26 to 27, 2010

**Update 7/21/12 - This book is now available for free on Amazon.

Wow! What a ride!

Stolen Fury is the story of Dr. Lisa Maxwell, an accomplished archaeologist. Lisa is on a quest to find three ancient Greek artifacts – reliefs of the Three Furies. The book takes us on a chase through Italy, Greece, Chicago, Miami, and the Caribbean. While in Italy, Lisa meets the suave Rafe Sullivan, who woos her and manages to steal one of the Furies. Lisa is furious and enlists her police officer brother Shane’s help in tracking Rafe down. She finds Rafe, confronts him, and then becomes partners with him in order to track down the remaining artifacts.

I really enjoyed the story. It did feel like a female Indiana Jones story, albeit without the whip. The author maintained a good sexual tension between the two main characters. The supporting characters were interesting as well and I understand that the next books will focus on them. The villain was especially deranged and a little bit of a surprise.

At first, I disliked Lisa’s character. I mean, someone drugs her and steals a precious artifact from her, and she travels from Italy to Florida to confront him? On her own? And then partners with him to find the remaining artifacts? Lisa, have you no sense of self preservation? But Lisa’s character grew on me and by the end of the book, I really did like her.

Part of my initial dislike of Lisa’s character was due to her attraction to Rafe Sullivan. Rafe is described as being an Antonio Banderas lookalike. (What’s not to like there?) Rafe is a thief with a conscience and a duty to his family and friends. Rafe really has a difficult time reconciling his need to steal the artifact from Lisa and his attraction for her. Eventually, the attraction does win out and the sparks begin to fly. I liked how the author slowly revealed parts of Rafe’s life and his personality so we could see exactly why Lisa was attracted to him.

I found the book to be a great distraction during this busy holiday season. While I could not believe all that went on in the novel, it was worthy of suspending belief and just enjoying a good read. I’m starting the next novel in the series Stolen Heat today.

Check out my review (and more) on Badass Book Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen Fury.

12/26/2010 page 21
6.0% "That was an exciting first chapter. Archeologist falls in a cave and finds an artifact."
12/27/2010 page 74
22.0% "It wasn't a normal family. Rafe's first impression of the Maxwell clan was a white version of The Cosby Show buzzed up on too much Guiness." 1 comment
12/27/2010 page 138
41.0% ""Real men don't wear thongs. And I'm not wearing this." He held it out to her. The scrap wouldn't cover anything. Especially not anything he had. No doubt she bout it just to get under his skin." 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Book challenge - INVERNO - RRRC
N - book

message 3: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Danielle!

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley I've been reading the Rogue Angel series. Is this one similiar to that by any chance?

message 5: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Always looking for good adventure books

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Shelley, I haven't read the Rogue Angels series. This series is like an Indiana Jones light romantic suspense. It's a fun thriller. The heroine is a little TSTL at first, but she grew on me. The hero was hot.

Wicked Incognito Now I have this book. I'm glad you liked it. I'll have to read it now.

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, April. I liked it so much that I read the 2nd book right away.

Wicked Incognito Now Really? Okay then. I'll queue it up then.

message 10: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Light, exciting, romantic thrillers. Who can go wrong when your hero looks like Antonio Banderas?

Laura the Highland Hussy I'm intrigued...I've seen this one around GR alot, and I'm glad I took the time to read your review. I've read Elisabeth Naughton before, and I don't remember if I liked her or not. I'll have to check. I think she wrote the series with the Argonauts and I liked that, so I'm off to look for this book now :)
good review

message 12: by Buggy (new)

Buggy Great review this is sounding good to me, a female Indiana Jones escape, nice

message 13: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks,Laura - I didn't know Elisabeth Naughton had written any other books other than her Stolen Trilogy. I only found her book because it was a Kobo freebie in October and I finally got to read it.

Thanks, Buggy - a lot of world travel and a hunt for the Three Furies - suspend belief and have fun with it.

Laura the Highland Hussy (please call me Laurie-GR made me change it since it's the name my publisher used)
I read these 2 and liked them:

Marked (Eternal Guardians, #1) by Elisabeth Naughton Entwined (Eternal Guardians, #2) by Elisabeth Naughton

message 15: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Oh, I've seen those around and they seemed to get good reviews. Thanks, Laurie.

message 16: by Nissie (new)

Nissie Great review,AH! You had me at Indiana Jones. :)

message 17: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Nissie. :)

message 18: by Katyana (new) - added it

Katyana Great review! This sounds like all kinds of fun! I think I have to check it out!

message 19: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Katyana! I hope you enjoy it.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Awesome review!!!

Mmm.... Antonio lookalike noms!! Sounds tasty ;)

message 21: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Greta. Rafe was nommy. I love how they describe the male characters in these books. Always have perfect, muscular, bodies...YUM.

Desperado Great review, AH! I'm not a fan of RS but this book sounds intriguing, despite Lisa having TSTL moments. I mean seriously? Going off to confront some strange guy on your own? What are you gonna do, bludgeon him to death with a fossil? But you said she grew on you. Hopefully she'll grow on me too. And who could resist a hero named Rafe? Of course, it starts to sound like a name for a gigolo if I think about it too much.

Adding to my TBR shelf right now. Thanks!

message 23: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, LL. I like a bit of adventure with my romance so it was fun.

Quinn Great review, AH! I love a good adventure romance.

message 25: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Quinn. Perfect little adventure romance for the holidays.

message 26: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Ooh, a female Indiana Jones? I am definitely intrigued. I absolutely love Indiana Jones style stories so this sounds right up my alley.

message 27: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Hope you enjoy it, Catherine.

message 28: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Thanks, AH. :)

Lady Heather Excellent review AH!!! Definitely going to check this one out!

message 30: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Lady Heather! Hope you like it.

message 31: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Nicely reviewed, AH! And thank for the tip on the freebie, too. :)

message 32: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Wendy!

♡Karlyn P♡ I read this years ago and enjoyed, so thanks for the heads up about the freebie ebook!

message 34: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH You're welcome! I enjoyed this series. Enjoy the freebie.