Angelina Justice's Reviews > The Water Wars

Sep 21, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: ya, dystopia
Read from April 16 to 18, 2012

Although I enjoyed the adventure, I was put off by the disparity between realistic behaviors and over the top situations. In dystopia a writer must cleave to the surreal or the realistic to cement the plot. This book tended to vacilate between the two. This helps the reader accept that the depicted future is only vaguely attached to our reality or is a realistic possible future.

The actions/reactions of the teens and some adult characters was very real and in touch with our current reality. Whereas the personification of the "bad guys" was forced or overdone. There are gaps in the vague explanations offered on how the current world became the future world of the story.

This story could have been so much more had the sexuality, and intensity of feeling that older adolescents experience, been fleshed out in the book. Perhaps the characters should have been a little younger or the audience age should have been older. This would have made Vera's devotion to Kai more believable.

I could go on with many nitpicking details, but to sum up: Upper elementary and middle school readers who are attracted to stories of good versus bad and/or save the world themes will enjoy this book. More mature readers, from late middle school to adult, will probably feel a little cheated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Water Wars.