Lindsay's Reviews > Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Sep 21, 2010

liked it

Sam is a college dropout with a love for skate-boarding while making minimum at his dead-end job. And then the unthinkable happens: he discovers that he is a Necromancer, someone with the power to bring back the dead. That, and somebody wants him dead.

This debut novel by Lish McBride was definitely not what I expected, which is always a good thing. Even though there were some bits that felt off to me, I can honestly say that I really, really enjoyed this book. I loved the new dark twists and turns you don't typically see in YA, as well as there being a fun tone to the main character's voice, along with the other lovable characters in between.

Sam is definitely a creative character, although at times I felt him to be too feminine and I thought the author took away from his personality. But he was completely relatable. What teenager doesn't know what they want to do in their life? I know I can relate. Plus, his friends are awesome and always there to back him up, which I absolutely adore. And then there's his love interest, who certainly sparks something dark and delicious in this mystery. ;) Werewolves have always been a favorite of mine so hooray for the hybrids! And let's not forget that this book comes with zombie pandas and a werewolf pack set to kill. Very nice touch. This felt very realistic to me(despite the magic of course) and the life situations played out very nicely.

All in all, Lish McBride has done a fantastic job weaving this magical, dark, but all around hilarious tale of death and life and I'm certainly anxious for more.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hold Me Closer, Necromancer.

September 21, 2010 – Shelved