Nina ♥'s Reviews > The Iron King

liked it
bookshelves: first-in-series, ridiculously-hot-guys
Recommended for: people who liked the "Mortal Instruments" series
Read from September 28 to October 07, 2010

Not much to say on this book. I liked it. A lot of the main characters were lovable. I loved Puck and Grimalkin. They were HILARIOUS. And I'm officially crushing on Ash.

The only problem was that there was barely any romance at all. I mean, Meghan and Ash barely knew each other. And then the ending wasn't very satisfying.

On a total random note, does anyone else think of Grim when seeing this icon? It reminds me of Grimalkin (which, by the way, I adore):

cat

Okay, maybe he'd look a little more serious than this, lol. :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.

Quotes Nina ♥ Liked

Julie Kagawa
“Human?' The girl cocked her head the other way. I caught a glimpse of pink gills under her chin. 'My sisters told me stories of humans. They said they sometimes sing to them to lure them underwater.' She grinned, showing off her sharp needle-teeth. 'I've been practicing. Want to hear?”

Julie Kagawa
“I licked my lips and whispered, "Is this where you say you'll kill me?"
One corner of his lips curled. "If you like," he murmured, a flicker of amusement finally crossing his face. "Though it's gotten far too interesting for that.”

Julie Kagawa
“No, no. We can kill each other later.”

Julie Kagawa
“Me? Die? Didn't they tell you, princess? I'm Robin Goodfellow.”

Julie Kagawa
“I have to be on top of my game if I'm going to kill things for you, right?”

Julie Kagawa
“Oh, we're playing nice now? Shall we have tea first? Brew up a nice pot of kiss-my-ass?”

Julie Kagawa
“Bravo," said Grimalkin, peering down from Cold Tom's chest. "The Winter prince and Oberon's jester agreeing on something. The world must be ending.”

Julie Kagawa
“Touch her, and I'll freeze your testicles off and put them in a jar. Understand?”

Julie Kagawa
“Ash blinked. "Are you raiding the cellars now, Goodfellow?"

"Me? Stealing?" Puck flashed a devious grin and popped another fruit into his mouth. "In the house of my ancient enemy? What gave you that idea?" He plucked another fruit and tossed it to me with a wink.”

Julie Kagawa
“... What do you want, Ash?"
"Your head," Ash answered softly. "On a pike. But what I want doesn't matter this time." He pointed his sword at me. "I've come for her."
I gasped as my heart and stomach began careening around my chest. He's here for me, to kill me, like he promised at Elysium.
"Over my dead body." Puck smiled, as if this was a friendly conversation on the street, but I felt muscles coiling under his skin.
"This was part of the plan." The prince raised his sword, the icy blade wreathed in mist. "I will avenge her today, and put her memory to rest." For a moment, a shadow of anguish flitted across his face, and he closed his eyes. When he opened them, they were cold and glittered with malice. "Prepare yourself."
"Stay back, princess," Puck warned, pushing me out of the way. He reached into his boot and pullet out a dagger, the curved blade clear as glass. "This might get a little rough."
"Puck, no." I clutched at his sleeve. "Don't fight him. Someone could die."
"Duels to the death tend to end that way." Puck grinned, but it was a savage thing, grim and frightening. "But I'm touched that you care. One moment, princeling," he called to Ash, who inclined his head. Taking my wrist, Puck steered me behind the fountain and bent close, his breath warm on my face.
"I have to do this, princess," he said firmly. "Ash won't let us go without a fight, and this has been coming for a long time now." For a moment, a shadow of regret flickered across his face, but then it was gone.
"So," he murmured, grinning as he tilted my chin up, "before I march off to battle, how 'bout a kiss for luck?"
I hesitated, wondering why now, of all times, he would ask for a kiss. He certainly didn't think of me in that way... did he?”

Julie Kagawa
“There was a soft chuckle beside me, and my heart stopped.
"So this is Oberon's famous half-blood," Ash mused as I whirled around. His eyes, cold and inhuman, glimmered with amusement. Up close, he was even more beautiful, with high cheekbones and dark tousled hair falling into his eyes. My traitor hands itched, longing to run my fingers through those bangs. Horrified, I clenched them in my lap, trying to concentrate on what Ash was saying. "And to think," the prince continued, smiling, "I lost you that day in the forest and didn't even know what I was chasing."
I shrank back, eyeing Oberon and Queen Mab. They were deep in conversation and did not notice me. I didn't want to interrupt them simply because a prince of the Unseelie Court was talking to me.
Besides, I was a faery princess now. Even if I didn't quite believe it, Ash certainly did. I took a deep breath, raised my chin, and looked him straight in the eye.
"I warn you," I said, pleased that my voice didn't tremble, "that if you try anything, my father will remove your head and stick it to a plaque on his wall."
He shrugged one lean shoulder. "There are worse things." At my horrified look, he offered a faint, self-derogatory smile. "Don't worry, princess, I won't break the rules of Elysium. I have no intention of facing Mab's wrath should I embarrass her. That's not why I'm here."
"Then what do you want?"
He bowed. "A dance."
"What!" I stared at him in disbelief. "You tried to kill me!"
"Technically, I was trying to kill Puck. You just happened to be there. But yes, if I'd had the shot, I would have taken it."
"Then why the hell would you think I'd dance with you?"
"That was then." He regarded me blandly. "This is now. And it's tradition in Elysium that a son and daughter of opposite territories dance with each other, to demonstrate the goodwill between the courts."
"Well, it's a stupid tradition." I crossed my arms and glared. "And you can forget it. I am not going anywhere with you."
He raised an eyebrow. "Would you insult my monarch, Queen Mab, by refusing? She would take it very personally, and blame Oberon for the offense. And Mab can hold a grudge for a very, very long time."
Oh, damn. I was stuck.”

Julie Kagawa
“Man, that was impressive. You must've jumped three feet in the air. What did you think I was, leatherface or something?
-Robbie Goodfell”

Julie Kagawa
“Don't call me that," I muttered, banging my forehead into my locker. "And the tutoring went fabulous. Please kill me now." -Meghan Chase”

Julie Kagawa
“See you later princess. Don't let leatherface catch you on your way home -Robbie”

Julie Kagawa
“That's what you promised him, Princess?" he shouted throwing up his hands. "That was your bargain? You would offer yourself to the Unseelie Court?" He turned and punched a tree, sending twigs and icicles to the ground. "Of all the stupid ideas! What is wrong with you?"

-PUCK”
tags: puck

Julie Kagawa
“Stop it!" I hissed glaring at both in turn. "Stop it right now! Put your weapons up, both of you! Ash, you're in no condition to fight, and, Puck, shame on you, agreeing to duel him when he's obviously hurt. Sit down and shut up."

-Meghan”

Julie Kagawa
“Ladies and Felines," he stated grandly, grasping the doorknob, "Welcome to Tir Na Nog. Land of endless winter and shitloads of snow.”
tags: puck

Julie Kagawa
“He shook his head, examining the wound again. "It's frostbitten," he muttered. "It'll blister, but you should be fine. You might only lose a couple fingers."
-Ash”

09/30/2010 page 250
69.0% "Ooooooh Ash sounds hot! And he's a prince! *Swoon* Lol :P And Grim keeps cracking me up! =D" 3 comments

Kennie is dah Name (: Batista Seriously. Grim does remind me of Cheshire. xD

Nina ♥ Me too! I ADORE him, he's just too cute. :D ♥

Kennie is dah Name (: Batista he is makes me want to have my own Grimalkin !

Nina ♥ Haha that would make for an...interesting...adventure. :D

Kennie is dah Name (: Batista lmao! it sure would, but i love eerie adventures! :)

Haleema Lol! I like the gif! However, I imagined Grim as royal and calm. And serious, you're right! He'd just be standing there, impassive. Grim and Puck are the humor of this series! I love them

Duanur I was thinking about reading this but "recommended to Mortal Instrument fans"??? NOO..
But I still want to see what the fuss is all about and Julie Kagawa's Immortal Rules series is amazing