Nancy Townsend's Reviews > The Hidden and the Maiden

The Hidden and the Maiden by Eben Mishkin

Mar 14, 2015

bookshelves: fantasy, firstreads

I received a copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads - thank you very much - but this has not influenced my review.

It's hard work being dead. At least it is if you live/die on Wire Island (California?) It's not that much fun being alive, either, especially if you happen to be the Cup-Bearer or the Maiden. The three main characters - James, Zephyr (what a beautiful name) and the ghost of Zephyr's dead mum JJ - are on a mission to save the Maiden from the God of Death with numerous ghosts standing in their way. There's loads of action and graphic horror and it's all very exciting. My favourite part was when James and Zephyr finally got into Helena's house and had to negotiate all the traps set by the arch baddie Kenton Dean. With a complex back story and magic in the mix, this is an entertaining read. It would be nice to see James and Zephyr team up again in a sequel. They are a very likeable pair.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden and the Maiden.

March 14, 2015 – Shelved