Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always's Reviews > Firsts

Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn

8 Things You Will Love About Firsts

1. Firsts is raw, compelling and honest. It's a book about a teen who thinks of sex as a way to be in control. It's a book that definitely doesn't shy away from the nitty and gritty, a topic that most young adult novels would opt to leave out.

2. Firsts is incredibly complex. It has a complex story--one that you yourself would definitely not want to get tangled in--and complex characters who you may or may not fully understand even as the novel comes to a close.

3. Firsts has a heroine who goes through so much development. Mercy isn't a character you'll immediately love. In fact, you might even not like her until the end. Despite this, you'll still see her grow so much as a character as she discovers herself, and you'll sympathize with her like I did.

4. Firsts has the most adorable love interest ever. Holy Mother of Cute Guys, Zach Sutton is on a different level of "book boyfriend." He's sweet, persistent and loving. Plus he's witty and sexy and you're just going to adore him. I promise.

5. Firsts has really strong friendships. The friends in this book have their ups and downs, but eventually learn to accept each other, and the fact that they need each other. This book also proves that sometimes you'll love your new friends as much as those you've known for years.

6. Firsts teaches you that every action has a consequence. And you have to be ready for it. Yeah, sure, Mercy wanted to hide and never go to school again, but in the end, she chose to face her fate with her head held high.

7. Firsts tells you that it's okay to wait if you want to. Angela, Mercy's best friend, is a Catholic and is sworn to celibacy. And that's fine--you're going to love how Mercy accepts that, despite having slept with many men herself.

8. I loved Firsts. That's a good reason, yeah?

Thanks so much to St. Martin's Press for allowing me to read and review this book in advance!

Blog | I Adork You
Twitter | @aimeereads
Instagram | @aimeereads
Pinterest | aimeereads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firsts.

March 14, 2015 – Shelved
January 2, 2016 – Shelved as: i-think-my-heart-stopped
January 2, 2016 – Shelved as: might-make-you-shit-bricks
January 2, 2016 – Shelved as: swoony-book-boys
January 2, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Ellen Gail Honestly, this book has what I would normally hate in a novel: A heroine with a twisted sense of "helping" and ends up repeating her mistakes over and over again, cheating, slut-shaming...

Agreed Aimee! Can't wait for your full review!

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always So glad to hear that, Ellen! :D

Fafa's Book Corner I'm so happy to see that you loved this!

Great review :)

message 4: by Kels (new) - added it

Kels Great review, Aimee! This isn't a book that I would usually pick up but just based on your review, I think I need to read this!! :D

The Book Worm (of doom) Thanks to you I'll probably readthis when I can! :D

The Book Worm (of doom) by thee way... nice review :)

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always @Fatima: I did! A lot! <3

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always @Kelly: You definitely should! <3 And thank you. :)

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always @The Book Worm: Woot! Let me know if you do. :) And thank you! :)

Haraiah Eve I love Zach so much! He's an amazing guy. I want to give him a big hug.

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Love your review, Aimee! I really enjoyed this book as well. It's so unique and thought provoking. Also, yest to a guy like Zach! <3

message 13: by Pang (new)

Pang This book sounds adorable, Aimee! :D Can't wait to meet Zach. Love your fabulous review, girl. :)

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always @Bea: SO glad you loved it!! <3 Having my own Zach would be <3.

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always @Pang: Oh, it's FAR from adorable... But it's amazing and must be read! Hope you love it!<3