Marina's Reviews > The School Gate Survival Guide

The School Gate Survival Guide by Kerry Fisher

F 50x66

I won this book on a giveaway couple of months ago, and recently I finally managed to read it. The very first thing I noticed about the book was the cover. I absolutely love red and the cover is so eye catchy. Compliments for the designer!

The School Gate Survival Guide tell us the story of Maia, a mother of two, who cleans houses in order to provide food on the table. One of the her favourite clients is an old lady professor who adores her and her two children. The old lady dies, and Maia suddenly inherits a lot of money. But there is a catch! The money are for kids’ education. They have to go to Stirling Hall School, well known school only the richest can afford. But entering in the world of rich and famous is not without any consequences. Maia has no time to live Cinderella’s life. The money she inherits are only for the school, there is still need for food on the table. A cleaning lady is not welcomed in the high circles full of silicones and organic food. She desperately needs a plan and a survival guide.

Maia is an amazing character. She is a real modern Cinderella. Very bright, kind and hardworking woman. As a mother of two, she does her best to provide everything that her kids need. Raised by a single mother, life wasn’t easy for her, she ran into the first man she fell in love. Like every good mother and every woman in love, she stays with the father of her children even when things go wrong. She doesn’t make the best decisions always, but she tries her best.

I absolutely loved Maia’s children, Bronte and Harley. They are both very excited about going to parties, dressing well, having a horse, having their own room etc. They both love their mother very much and they aren’t spoiled at all.

When you talk about rich and famous, you never think that they are just people. Colin has everything: rich husband, huge house, great kids, but there are so many storms in her life. Her husband abandons her, she suffers from depression and has no friends. But Colin is so generous and such a down-to-earth person. Her door is always open for a friend in trouble, and is always there whenever her friend needs a crying shoulder.

TSGSG is not only a survival guide for the world of rich and famous, it is also a survival guide for a lifetime. In a hilarious way, Ms Fisher describes the every day life battles and the struggle for better future. With so much humor, she shows us that dreams do come true, only if you believe in them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The School Gate Survival Guide.

March 14, 2015 – Started Reading