Nikki 's Reviews > Singing the Dogstar Blues

Singing the Dogstar Blues by Alison Goodman

Sep 21, 2010

bookshelves: children-s-and-ya, speculative-fiction, queer

(Fifth book/sixth text for the readathon.)

I first came across Alison Goodman in the Firebirds Rising anthology, which included a short story by her set in the world of this novel. So, when I wanted some books to cheer me up, this is one of the ones I ordered -- and when I wanted something lighter once it got to god knows what AM during the readathon, this is what I picked up. It was exactly what I wanted: light but still absorbing, a nice change of pace.

I enjoyed the characters and the world, which was lightly futuristic without being hard SF -- not hard to process and get used to at all. I liked the fact that a lesbian relationship was included so matter of factly. I was similarly happy about the positive, no-big-deal approach to sexuality in Goodman's short story, so that fills me with hope.

I called the plot halfway through, even at seven AM, so I wouldn't say it's all that surprising or original. But it caught me at a good time, and was exactly the kind of thing I wanted to read, and so for that I feel very affectionate towards it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Singing the Dogstar Blues.