Susan Ideus's Reviews > A Summer in Sonoma

A Summer in Sonoma by Robyn Carr

Sep 21, 2010

Taking a break from her Virgin River series, Carr introduces us to several new characters. Cassie is a nurse, an independent type who finds herself in danger and at the mercy of a seemingly nice guy who turns out to be a total fraud. She is rescued by Walt, described as a “biker dude.” Outwardly, there could be no two souls who are less alike. Still, they become friends, though Cassie has sworn off any more romantic entanglements, seeing herself as a loser in this category.

Their friendship evolves gradually with Walt sensing he must move slowly or risk losing Cassie’s trust forever. Carr chronicles this blossoming relationship in a story about living in the present but being held in chains by the past. It’s hard for Cassie to trust her own judgment, much less trust yet another man in her life who might cause her further hurt and disillusionment. Still, maybe she can be hopeful since Walt has gone out of his way to be the perfect gentleman, giving her no reason to doubt him—or is there? The reader will have to decide. Will this be Cassie’s time?

As always, Carr has given us believable substantial characters and scenarios that the reader can relate to. Her sense of place and descriptions of the lovely countryside add to the pleasure. The story has enough depth to make it interesting and enough romance to make it a good cozy read. In my book, that’s a winner.

~I received a copy of this book for review from the author, publisher, or publicist.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Summer in Sonoma.