Krista the Krazy Kataloguer's Reviews > The Crystal Cave

The Crystal Cave by Mary  Stewart

Jan 11, 2008

bookshelves: read-adult-fiction, read-historical-fiction

I read this for an 8th grade English oral book report. It was a great story, and the teacher was amazed that I was able to explain the complicated plot to everyone so that they could understand it. I never went on to read the other 2 books in the series. I should reread this and then dig out the other two...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crystal Cave.

Finished Reading
January 11, 2008 – Shelved
January 11, 2008 – Shelved as: read-adult-fiction
September 1, 2016 – Shelved as: read-historical-fiction

Miriam I must've been even younger than that when I read -- I can't remember anything but the cover!

message 2: by Manybooks (last edited Oct 27, 2016 07:03PM) (new) - added it

Manybooks We also had to read this very book for school.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer Manybooks wrote: "We also had to read this very book for school."

What grade did you have to read this for? I would expect it to be a high school read. I think my teacher was surprised that I chose to read that book. Now that I think about it, my teacher at the time was Geraldine Matheson, daughter of author Richard Matheson, so maybe she expected that level of reading out of me. I enoyed the book very much.

message 4: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks Krista the Krazy Kataloguer wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "We also had to read this very book for school."

Grade eight, but not exacly sure, what we call junior high, much more readable than Dickens' Bleak House which we also had to read in grade eight.

message 5: by Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (last edited Oct 27, 2016 09:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer Manybooks wrote: "Krista the Krazy Kataloguer wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "We also had to read this very book for school."

Really? Grade 8, same as me? Interesting. I agree, it was much more readable than Dickens, only we had to read A Tale of Two Cities, which was difficult but I enjoyed it.

message 6: by Manybooks (new) - added it

Manybooks Krista the Krazy Kataloguer wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "Krista the Krazy Kataloguer wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "We also had to read this very book for school."

Bleak House was not just difficult but boring, unlike Tale of Two Cities.

message 7: by Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (last edited Oct 27, 2016 11:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer Manybooks wrote: "Krista the Krazy Kataloguer wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "Krista the Krazy Kataloguer wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "We also had to read this very book for school."

What grade did you have to read this for..."

I haven't read Bleak House, but it's on my list. I think it may be one of those books you appreciate/understand better when you're older. I know I missed a lot when I read some of the classics when I was in school just because I wasn't experienced enough with life to recognize certain things. This was especially true with Henry James' The Turn of the Screw. When I reread it as an adult I got a whole new interpretation of it.