Kayla's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, young-adult

John Green's Looking for Alaska started out strong and continued to be enticing through the first half of the book. Alaska was my favorite character and had so much personality. Her interactions with all of the characters were believable and allowed the reader to see multiple sides of Alaska. The reader was obsessed with this character, so it made perfect sense that all of the book characters were obsessed with her, too. Since she was the focal point of the story, even though it's Pudge's story, her physical disappearance from the novel hurt the book. The book no longer had the same novelty it did in the first half.

I could appreciate Green's ties to religion and the focal question of "How do we get out of the labyrinth of suffering?" The themes were well thought out and offered great lessons which made the reader think deeply about their own lives and beliefs. To me, however, focusing on these questions in the second half of the book seemed to be a way to keep the story going, even though it had finished over a hundred pages earlier. The two halves were almost like separate stories. It changed from an upbeat contemporary YA fiction to a self-help book the moment everything changed (view spoiler).

I enjoy John Green's style and his ability to get a visceral reaction from his readers, but this wasn't his best work. I still enjoyed it, and if you like books that make you feel and think philosophically, then I would give the book a chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

Quotes Kayla Liked

John Green
“When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail.”
John Green, Looking for Alaska

February 16, 2015 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
February 16, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
March 13, 2015 – Started Reading