K. O'Bibliophile's Reviews > Evolution's Darling

Evolution's Darling by Scott Westerfeld

Sep 20, 2010

it was ok
Read on September 20, 2010

Scott Westerfeld, I expected more from you. As the Uglies series shows, you're a good sci-fi writer. It and Leviathan proved you can convincingly write a new (or semi-new) world and yet leave the reader feeling like they *get* it.

Too bad you didn't in this book.

It's obviously meant for older teens, if not adults--not his fault my library has it in the juvenile section. But it seems that half the book is sex, sex, sex without a point. In fact, the entire book doesn't have a point. Chapters skip around various times and from various characters' POVs, but never quite come together enough to make a good story. Some of the characters were interesting, but their stories are all incomplete and I had to wonder: what was the point of me even reading this? There's no actual ending, half the plot isn't touched upon again.

And then there's jargon and more jargon; sometimes it's more like an encyclopedia than a novel, hard to follow even at the rare times when there's something resembling a story (which will, inevitably lead to more pointless sex). The book can't decide what it wants more: sci-fi, adult semi-romance (the sex scenes are often detailed), a plot, avant-garde non-sequential storytelling, or a clinical-sounding exposition on new worlds.

To be fair, it's one of his earlier works. To be honest, avoid it. There's much better stuff out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evolution's Darling.