Katherine Dell's Reviews > Partials

Partials by Dan Wells

Mar 13, 2015

When it comes to young adult novels I generally lean towards books that are part of a series. So that if I fall in love with the first book, I know the characters will carry on in to the next book in the series. So far, I’ve read the first two books in the three book series Partials by Dan Wells. (Fragments, Ruins.)

This young adult, science fiction novel is set in a post-apocalyptic reality of the year 2076. This is eleven years after an isolation war between the United States and China. In an effort to end the isolation war, the US contracts Paragen, a manufacturer of bio-synth organisms to create an army of almost human super soldiers, later know as partials. The partial army ends the war but unfortunately they are not welcomed home as heroes. They are segregated, oppressed and pressured into rebellion.

The first book starts eleven years after the partial rebellion and isolation war. Tensions are still high between partials and humans, especially since 99.6% of the world’s population of humans has been wiped out by a virus called RM. It’s believed that RM was released by the partials to wipe out the human race, which it almost did. Now the remaining population of humans immune to RM struggles to survive, all gathered together on Manhattan Island. In the eleven years, the survivors have not had one baby born immune to RM and are now facing the reality that their generation will be the last.

This book is thrilling, amazingly detailed, fast paced and will keep you reading to the last page of the last book in the series. If you like books like I am number four by Pittacus Lore, Once by Anna Carey or The hunger games by Suzanne Collins you’ll love this book series.

I give it a 4.5 out of 5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Partials.

Finished Reading