Katherine Dell's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Mar 13, 2015

So I was reading this book last night, Looking for Alaska – By John Green. This particular author is becoming one of my favorites. His vivid stories and rich characters give me something to strive towards in my writing. This is the third book by John Green that I’ve read, the others being The Fault in our Stars, and An Abundance of Katherines.

I’m not finished reading Looking for Alaska yet, but I wanted to share with you this amazing quote I found on page 54.

“You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present.”

Without giving you any context of what point in the story this comes from, I want you just to think about it what it says. What does this quote say about your life? About the goals you pursue… About the world in general?

I think I could philosophize on this quote for pages but, I’ll sum it up for you in just a few lines. :)

We are living and working in today, for a future we dream will be abundant, rich, and far more fantastic then what we live right now. But, rarely do we step out of today’s mind set and actually reach that future, because we are far more comfortable in the pursuit of it than ever really achieving it.

Whew… Who says young adult fiction can’t be deep? After I finish this book I think I shall start on one of John Green’s other books called Paper Towns.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

Finished Reading