Katherine Dell's Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Mar 13, 2015

I give this book 3.75 out of 5 stars.

Perhaps I’ve given this book a slightly lower star review than it deserves. I read the first three quarters of it in a day or two but then got distracted. That’s not unusual for me. It was another week before I picked it up again and finished the rest. Maybe the break between starting and finishing made the story lose a little of its magic for me.

There were defiantly a few things I really liked about the book. For starters, the plot is unique. Which can be rare in today’s YA fiction genre. This Author, Ransom Riggs, over some time, stockpiled vintage snap shot photos that he collected for anywhere he could find them. He selected just fifty photos to go in to this book. Because there was no way of really knowing the true stories behind the photos… he wrote them. Each photo inspires a character, a scene, a happening.

As a writer, (and person who also owns a huge box of vintage photos) I can appreciate the talent and creativity that must have gone in to producing a book like this. It would defiantly be very different type of writing process. One I might like to try for myself one day.

My favorite part of the whole book is close to the end. (Sorry, spoiler alert) Page 344 in my copy. Jacob, the main character has finally found the strength in himself to make a decision. He must decide whether or not to go follow his new found friends on a journey to God only know where. If he goes, he would have to leave everything, and everyone he’s ever know behind and perhaps never see them again. Or he could decide to go back to the life he had. A life where everyone thinks he’s crazy, where the safety he thought he had never really existed.

In this scene Jacob finally finds his voice to tell his dad the decision he’s made.

I wonder for a moment if I would have to run from him. I pictured my dad holding me down, calling for help, loading me onto the ferry with arms locked in a straitjacket.

“I’m not coming with you,” I said.

His eyes narrowed and he coked his head, as if he hasn’t heard properly…

I love how in this book you can see how fragile Jacobs personality was, and how he finally, he come in to his own.

So, I do recommend this book. It’s different. It’s quirky. It’s a good read.

3.75 out of 5 stars… or maybe a little better than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

Finished Reading