Tori Kelley's Reviews > A Work of Art

A Work of Art by Melody Maysonet

I just finished reading A WORK OF ART by Melody Maysonet, and had to write a review because it was so well done. My Ph.D. is in Marriage and Family Therapy and I felt the family dynamics that Maysonet set up were a perfect depiction of how insidious relationships develop and fester until the family unit is broken down into horrific parts. The father is manipulative and cunning, pitting his daughter against her mother. He convinces not only Tera, the main character, that her mother is crazy, but also the mother herself. Tera is willing to do anything, even when it feels wrong, to win her father’s approval. This early grooming displayed by the father goes a long way in ensuring that Tera will make terrible decisions, both financially and in love. She has a broken picker: She picks the worst ‘bad boy’ to give herself to, ignoring her internal wisdom, because it is only a whisper compared to the loud, demanding voice her father has programmed into her head. As a reader, I felt such empathy for Tera, as her poor choices are the result of horrific parenting. I highly recommend this book, though it is not a cozy read, it is vital that we educate ourselves on the insidiousness of child exploitation so that we may arm ourselves against it, and be aware of the hidden signs. This is the only way to aid family, friends, and community members. Secrecy is the boat on which child exploitation floats. A WORK OF ART is a life raft. I hope everyone will get on board.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Work of Art.

Started Reading