Rebecca's Reviews > Undermajordomo Minor

Undermajordomo Minor by Patrick deWitt

liked it
bookshelves: read-via-edelweiss

What The Sisters Brothers did for the Western, this does for the Gothic fairytale. It’s not quite as fun or successful as the previous book, but has a nicely campy Dracula or Jane Eyre feel. Lucien “Lucy” Minor survived pneumonia thanks to a folk figure (view spoiler) who transferred the illness to his father. Now of age, this compulsive liar sets out to find adventure and romance as the undermajordomo of a castle in the quaint German countryside. Here he meets pickpockets, a periodically insane baron, a randy maiden, and a strapping rival who’s a soldier in the absurdist local conflict.

DeWitt’s understated humor is not as clearly on display here, though I did like the description of a pet bird as “deeply antisocial.” There’s also, strangely, quite a bit of sex – boy, does that (view spoiler) scene come out of nowhere. Read it if you like your Brothers Grimm with a splash of silliness and a whole lot of lasciviousness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undermajordomo Minor.

March 13, 2015 – Shelved
March 13, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
September 30, 2015 – Started Reading
September 30, 2015 – Shelved as: read-via-edelweiss
October 6, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Gina W Fischer Sounds like I liked it more than you did, but you write a great review!

Rebecca Thanks, Gina. I noticed you were reading it, too. I can see why it would fit your sense of humor.

Gina W Fischer Ha ha! And I loved the dialogue, too!