Lindsay's Reviews > The Other Side of Dark

The Other Side of Dark by Sarah  Smith

Sep 20, 2010

The Other Side of Dark is a great ghost story that Sarah Smith has written, creating an interesting mix of history and romance that made this novel so darkly interesting.

What I really liked about this book was the ending. Usually, I find the conclusions of many titles to be predictable and boring but Smith has definitely stunned this reader. Although the book started off a little too slowly for my comfort and was a bit boring at times, the ending definitely made up for the not-so-great parts. And even though I'm not too crazy about history, I found myself really wound up in the plot.

What I didn't happen to like were some of the characters. I did like Katie a lot, more than I usually like most YA characters, but the father felt too extreme and fake to come off as an interesting character. I've read several reviews from other people who have read the book and I wasn't surprised to find that they agreed.

Overall, I loved the sweet blend of mystery and dark horror - always been a fan of those intense disturbed scenes - and I think Sarah Smith has written a good story, one that many readers will most certainly enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side of Dark.