Jan's Reviews > Lovers and Beloveds

1931718
Sep 20, 2010

bookshelves: romance, fantasy, indie, z-2010, fantasy-romance
Read from September 21 to November 07, 2010

Lovers and Beloveds is the coming of age story of Temmin, next in line for the throne of Tremont, intertwined with tales from a Magic Book called An Intimate History of The Greater Kingdom (which gave the series its name).

This book was first serialized online, and when I started reading that version, I could never get past the first chapters because Temmin annoyed the heck out of me. Not that he's a very annoying character, but because he's a very typical spoiled male teenager, and I just don't have patience for that.

However, friends who read it raved about it and the premise of the story always seemed like my cup of tea, so when I was given a digital copy of the rewritten book, I decided to give it another try.

I loved it. I didn't love it until somewhere halfway when I suddenly realized it was 6 o'clock in the morning and I couldn't put it down, so instead I just read on. It's the kind of story for which the appreciation sort of sneeks upon you.

I thought Temmin was incredibly spoiled and blind and stupid and ignorant and insensitive at first. And I didn't feel like he redeemed himself for a long time, because he kept on being ignorant and walking after his dick. If not for the magical awesomeness that was Warin and Emmae's tale (the story that's told inside the story) I would have quit reading again I think. I just couldn't sympathise.

But then the good in Temmin slowly started to shine through, and suddenly I found myself crying with him when the twins revealed their past. Disliking his father also really helped in siding with Temmin.

And it dawned on me that the unlikeable Temmin actually shows off the biggest strength of Meilin Miranda; she writes very believable young adults, with all their doubts and rashness.

Even in this magical setting, with a very different (but boy is it interesting!) belief system, and the Royal upbringing of the characters, Temmin, Sedra and Ellika seem like people you can meet around the corner. And while I didn't always like what they did, or agreed with their way of thinking, I found myself rooting for them all.

I especially loved Sedra, and I really hope she and her mental prowess get a spot in the spotlight at some point in future books.

I did expect there to be more Intimate Tales, and was admittedly a little disappointed that this book focused on only one historical couple. I'm assuming the next 2 books will tell more (which is awesome!!!), but that probably won't fill my hunger. I was expecting to end up with the full history of the Kingdom, but alas, I don't think that will be the case.

Emmae's and Warin's tale was beautiful though, and I loved how Temmin was shown both point of views. There aren't black and whites when it comes to history, only grays, and I think that was portrayed very well.

What can I say? I'm hungry for more. More Temmin, more Sedra, more Twins and definitely more Intimate History.

I really, really, really wish book 2 was out already.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lovers and Beloveds.

11/06/2010 page 23
5.48% "Last time I started this I was really annoyed by Temmin, and I think that's why I let myself be sidetracked. Here's hoping he gets less ignorant."
11/06/2010 page 119
28.0% "Temmin is spoiled and often insensitive because he's so self engorged. But sometimes he shows some underlying goodness and sympathie, so I haven't lost my patience yet. His father is a total ass though."
11/07/2010 page 301
72.0% "So far I've cried twice and lost a lot of sleep. Still not a huge fan of Temmin though"