Kaseka's Reviews > Brier's Bargain

Brier's Bargain by Carol Lynne

1420632
Sep 20, 2010

bookshelves: mm-romance, contemporary, ebooks, erotica, queer, romance

I was pleasantly surprised by this book--its characters, plot, cohesiveness. My main surprise was the title character himself: Brier.

Brier's voice reminded me of that of the main character in Flowers for Algernon--he's mentally handicapped due to a childhood brain injury, but has a beautiful heart. Brier is perceptive enough to know the people who love him aren't being honest with him (trying to protect him through ignorance), and is frustrated by their lack of trust in his ability to be more independent. A times it was uncomfortable for me to read from Brier's point of view because of his handicap, but I think it's wonderful that Lynne's consistently stellar writing made me care enough to be uncomfortable, and to continue thinking about and being impressed with the main character and his voice even the next day.

This is not a throwaway, forgettable story with throwaway, forgettable characters. If you want more from your homoerotica than a series of sex scenes tied loosely with premise posing as plot, then I heartily recommend this book. I'll definitely be reading more in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brier's Bargain.