Amanda's Reviews > Salvaged

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf
Recommended to Amanda by: Star Book Tours
Read from September 22 to 23, 2010

I received a copy of this book curtesy of Star Book Tours.

I don't even know where to start with Salvaged. I liked where the story was heading in the first couple chapters and didn't even mind the Oklahoma accent that the author threw in. However, in Chapter 3, Jesus shows up sitting on Attie's bed wearing jeans and a t-shirt, and I knew this book wasn't for me.

I only read the description of the book, not any of the reviews online, so I hadn't realized that Salvaged is a Christian fiction novel. Instead, it sounded more like Courtney Summer's Cracked Up to Be. Had I known, I would not have signed up for the ARC tour. I spent fourteen years in Catholic school and four years in a very overtly religious Catholic youth group, so don't try telling me that I need to head back to church and affirm my faith. I just don't enjoy Christian literature. Especially not when God/Jesus talks to one of the main characters. That, to me, is a whole new level of unbelievable.

I made it through Chapter 11 before abandoning the book. The characters were too naive to be believable - even my most puritanical Christian friends knew the basics of make-up and boys, even if it was only secondhand knowledge from school or books or television. And Riley was just too.. something. I can't put my finger on it, but he didn't ring true as a male character. It was too obvious that it was written from a female point of view (similar to how the character of Amanda Feral in Mark Henry's Happy Hour of the Damned is obviously written by a man).

After reading the last two chapters, my guess as to how the story ends was affirmed. Salvaged is a very predictable story with strong Christian undertones and a very strong message about chastity. It seems as though Miller doesn't trust teenagers to be able to control themselves, not even with Eskimo kisses and silly nothings whispered into ears. It borders on the absurd. It isn't necessary to be a complete and utter prude in order to save yourself for marriage. And it also isn't the girl's fault that the boy feels randy and gets set off by little things, like the aforementioned Eskimo kisses. That was just too much.

I'm sorry to give this such a negative review, as it had great potential. However, the Christian storyline really ruined it for me. Sorry, Ms. Miller

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salvaged.

Stefne Miller No need to apologize to me. As authors, we can't win 'em all!

I just appreciate you taking the time to read the book and give an honest review. Thanks so much!

Blessings,
Stefne

message 2: by Cydney (new)

Cydney Lawson Great review! I love hearing honest reviews even if they end up being negative.