Jeri's Reviews > Incubus Dreams

Incubus Dreams by Laurell K. Hamilton

Sep 20, 2010

This is working better for me than I'd expected. When first reading this series, I was really anticipating seeing Anita straighten things out re: her relationships with Richard and Jean Claude. I'd never been one of those readers rooting for one or the other; I always figured they'd turn out to be a threesome. Not only was I disappointed in that respect, but I also wasn't particularly thrilled at all the new relationships (and confusing magic) introduced a couple of books ago in NARCISSUS. Now that I've had a couple more books to get fond of (and intrigued by) Micah, and am feeling more invested in Anita's relationship with Nathaniel (who is such a wounded/needy character in earlier books that I, like Anita, took a while to get used to seeing him as a grownup and an object of romantic interest) ... anyway, now I'm liking all these different relationships a lot more than I did originally. I think one of the things that LKH does amazingly well is make me really believe that all these different relationships are love.

I'll have to reread the earlier books again, but my feeling now is that while I still like them a lot, I actually like where the series is going. The way in which the sex is mixed with pain, violence, domination, etc. makes me uncomfortable, but the underlying feeling of real emotion really does it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incubus Dreams.