Kassa's Reviews > Bareback

Bareback by Amber Green

2095317
Sep 20, 2010

it was ok

I chose this one because I like Amber Green and wanted something different. I haven’t read any of the other books in the series but found this easy enough to pick up any important background. The story is decent and the characters well developed for the most part. Yet something feels missing as my attention kept wandering. The characters and the plot itself feel rushed and the ending had me reading twice since it didn’t make much sense. There seems to be a lot of accepted facts made without much logical reasoning or background. I don’t think the issue is because it’s part of a series so much as the characters just make a statement and move on.

Part of this goes into the problems with the plot. Brian is new in town and comes upon a gang murder. He’s then put into the path of local cop Joe. Now Brian is a werewolf type creature that feeds on sexual energy and happens to be gay. Joe is a straight cop with a family of huntsman but he doesn’t know it. Joe and Brian get it on with Joe happily getting into the sex and there is no angst about “oh I’m gay now” he simply is. This is a bit of a stretch since the beginning is all about Joe saying no no no and then suddenly he gives in and starts petting Brian in public. The switch was abrupt and jarring, which contributed to not really connecting with either character.

The murder mystery aspect feels rushed with too many missing pieces. Not to give any spoilers there are a lot of people involved in the gang or covering up for the gang and it involves both the cops and the huntsman groups. There is a scene at the end that tells you little to nothing, yet a lot happens. I couldn’t quite figure out what was going on and how the final resolution came about but then again the murder mystery never really gripped me either. I like the author’s writing and the character of Brian but everyone else felt empty and bland.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bareback.