Jean's Reviews > Dexter Is Delicious

Dexter Is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay

Sep 20, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: mystery, horror
Recommended for: Fans only - find a cheap copy.
Read from October 01 to December 14, 2010 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** Despite my misgivings over a few plot points(the return of Brian, and Deborah's constant going against police regulations) I was all set to give this book a four star review.

Then I reached roughly the three quarter mark, and the book hit the wall. The rough introduction was because of a plot point utterly empty and stupid that...ugh! Where do I begin? Under the influence of drugs Dexter has sex with a teenage girl. It gets better! Later the girl threatens to claim he raped her! And it amounted to nothing more then two chapters of the main character whining 'poor me!' instead of an actual plot because the girl ends up dead. Of course.

Add in the revelation of Deborah's pregnancy, which I called the first time it's mentioned they she's emotional(because women can't have emotions yo,) and the whole book gains an odd misogynistic flavor. It's unfortunately soured my entire experience.

That aside - it's a well written book, with a relatively interesting premise. Most of the major plot points are highly predictable. It centers around the vampire subculture, but unfortunately demonizes it. It's bashing on Twilight in particular feels very trendy, rather then having any depth. For a book that started with so much promise it sure fell far and hard.

And there wasn't nearly enough vivisection.

This is the last Dexter book I buy in hardback for the foreseeable future. Perhaps the last one I buy ever - it depends on how the next one shapes up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dexter Is Delicious.

12/10/2010 page 190
12/13/2010 page 242
69.0% "Aaaaaaand the book hit the wall. WTF."