Rachel (APCB Reviews)'s Reviews > The Girl from Everywhere

The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig

bookshelves: 2016-debuts, 2016-releases, exceeded-expectations

Quick Review: Wow. Just wow! I'm absolutely floored by the brilliantly crafted story of The Girl From Everywhere. My favorite part of the novel is a three-way tie between the aesthetic setting, so perfectly captured in both feel and culture, the relationship between Nix and her father, and the premise of time travel in association with the maps.

Overall this book is truly something special and should definitely be a book you check out.

Full Review:

Let me start by saying what a brilliant author Heidi is. Not only is her story engaging, but her meticulous planning and artful weaving of the plot leaves my mind blown with all expectations hit out of the proverbial park.

"Paradise is a promise no god bothers to keep. There's only now, and tomorrow nothing will be the same, whether we like it or not."

The majority of this book takes place in late 1800's Hawaii, and I love how well Heidi captures the vibes and feel of the paradisiacal island of Oahu. Her descriptions and tenderness towards the setting has me anxious to visit and feel and experience everything just as these characters did. I also really appreciated how Heidi captured the turning point where Hawaii lost more of its Hawaiian charm, culture, and authenticity and became overrun by foreign influence. It's a sad and tragic past, but someone has to tell it. So often it's written off as inconsequential, but Hawaii was annexed and diminished from its natural peacefulness in such a horrid way.

The main character, Nix is really intuitive and easy to relate to. She struggles with her warring desires and her idea of home and family. Slate, her father, is quite an enigmatic and complex person. I loved his development in the book. Kashmir is dashing and the wittiest comic relief. The secondary characters were fleshed out and each had their own respective backstories. Mostly everyone was likable too. One of my favorite parts of the book was the evolving relationship between Nix and Slate. Slate's monomaniacal obsession with saving Nix's mother in the past really fractured any genuine father-daughter relationship. I loved seeing their relationship grow, and my favorite scene in the whole novel happens between these two.

The romance in this book is kept to a minimum and although it looks like there might be a love triangle forming, it's hardly there at all and won't overshadow the plot or your love for the book. Also this is a duology, so everything will develop and sort itself out in the next book.

I was hooked on this book immediately from the beginning. The idea of this story is so well developed and explained. It was fascinating learning about the time travel and the importance of maps. I love how Heidi mixed various fantasy/myth and historical elements into her story. We get to read of places and elements we're familiar with and other creatures and destinations that are innovative creations. Some parts were a bit confusing at times with the time travel, but everything happens for a reason, and all is revealed by the end. There are so many unexpected events in this novel; the unpredictability of this adventure novel was a definite hit for me. I also love the incorporation of diverse cultures placed in the novel.

This book could read as a standalone, but there's one more book to give us another amazing adventure with this great cast of characters and a phenomenal author. I can't recommend this book enough!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl from Everywhere.

March 11, 2015 – Shelved
March 11, 2015 – Shelved as: interested
March 11, 2015 – Shelved as: 2016-debuts
March 11, 2015 – Shelved as: 2016-releases
July 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 26, 2015 – Started Reading
August 28, 2015 – Shelved as: exceeded-expectations
August 28, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kels (new) - added it

Kels The release date is soo far away!! Waiting is torture! :/

C.J. Sarcasm & Lemons I just finished. I'm beyond impressed. There aren't enough words.