Steve's Reviews > Storms Of My Grandchildren: The Truth About The Climate Catastrophe And Our Last Chance To Save Humanity

Storms Of My Grandchildren by James Hansen

M 50x66
Sep 19, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: the-natural-world, fun-nonfiction
Read from September 12 to 15, 2010

James Hansen is possibly the best-known climate scientist around, as famous for what he wasn't allowed to say as what he did say. He has been an accomplished researcher and a strong voice for taking actions to avert climate change.

This book is an unhappy combination of climate science primer and political memoir. The science is fairly intense (not hard, but he doesn't waste time getting to details) but scattered and the political memoir is, frankly, boring. It is an important book in that this is where Hansen gets to say to future generations, "I tried and this is what I did," but I did not find it compelling reading. Important, maybe, but not compelling.

I have written many reviews here on goodreads decrying journalist-written science books as being engaging but shallow and anecdote-driven. This book, unfortunately, is an example of why those books exist - I think that climate science is fascinating (and flatter myself that I can understand most of the pop science treatments) but I found this book slow going and difficult to finish.

There are better climate change books out there (see The Weather Makers, the reason to read this is the author's name and history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storms Of My Grandchildren.

message 1: by Nigel (last edited Dec 27, 2010 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nigel I agree: Your review hits the literary nail on its journalistic head. I rated it a 4 for its historical importance rather than as generally a compelling read. I did find, however, the last sci-fi like chapter on runaway climate change - aka Venus II - a notable exception.