Veronica of V's Reads's Reviews > Adapted for Film

Adapted for Film by Stacey Rourke

bookshelves: contemporary, adult, fun-fast-read, romance

4.5 stars!
I love me some humorous romance. And this book fits the bill!

Aubrey is a romance author who--gasp!--doesn't believe in happy endings. She was head over heels for her first love and husband, but he did her wrong, and left her brokenhearted. It didn't stop her rise in the world of romance fiction, and now Aubrey's first novel is being made into a movie, and she's a producer!

Aubrey and her BFF Tandy head out to LA to be a part of the action. There Aubrey learns that the part of her 6'6" Russian bodyguard has been given to a 5'3" Mexican rap star. Because, reasons.

Oh, and they have written a new intro scene for her main characters, and the female lead drives a Prius--product placement. Wardrobe? Unsuitable. Everything, absolutely everything, about the production is wrong, wrong, wrong in Aubrey's eyes...so she takes it up with the director, Kole Camden.

With each stomped step I rehashed the script changes, prop, swaps, recasting and inferior costuming. Or, as I liked to refer to them, the elements that pushed me over the brink to finally achieving full-blown, bat-shit crazy status.

"Camden! Camden!" I shouted, loud enough to strain my throat, the instant I caught a glimpse of him.

His thumbs were looped in his front pockets, and his denim shirt rolled up his forearms. An annoyingly charming smile curled across his face as her turned my way. That lone dimple plunged deep into his cheek.

Between heaving pants, I recited the speech I'd mentally prepared on my long journey across the extensively large lot. "Hey, I've got a question for you. If we hit a local bookstore we could probably finde every book I've ever released. If you want, I could gather them all up in a big pile so you can take a shit right on them. Would you like that?

Kole's eyes narrowed while his amused smile held steady, as if he was struggling to find his place in an argument I'd jumped a few chapters ahead in. "I feel like I know the right answer here, but there's a chance this is a trick question."

"No, I'm serious!" I ranted, flicking a stray lock of hair from my eyes. "Because you seem so hell bent on destroying everything I've created, maybe we could try this as a time-saver!"

Yep, Aubrey's got a wicked mouth. Kole, for his part, doesn't mind riling her up all that much. Their banter is fun and games, well, until somebody loses her eye. Or, her free will...

Art bounced in his chair. "You and Camden had this movie spiraling into absolute failure."

"And that's him sugarcoating it," Kole interjected.

"You nearly killed this project." Steepling his fingers, Art fiddled with his obnoxious pinkie ring. "Now, my beautiful little swan, you have the chance to make things right."

"Let's agree to never call me that again." Finding my legs suddenly heavy with dread, I sank into the chair I had been leaning against.

"Fair enough," Art relented. Leaning one elbow on the table, he rested his chin on his closed fist. "To put plainly, Ms. Evans, you made magic for us yesterday. We believe you have created a very unique opportunity--"

Greyson leaned forward in his chair, his elbows resting on his knees. Golden brows hiked up, a light-hearted grin adding a mischievous flare to his appeal. "They want you to be my girlfriend. You up for it?"

For the sake of her novel-turned-movie dreams, Aubrey agrees, but the tension between her and Kole is palpable. And, this only gets more intense when the studio ups the ante, causing Aubrey and Greyson to co-habitate...

The production goes on, Aubrey knows she can't accept any of Greyson's affectionate overtures--not when he's on the studio's dime. And, she won't take any of Kole's advice--to get the heck out of LA with her soul and sanity in tact. Thing is, Kole is so very tempting. He's also edging his way deep into her heart, and that Aubrey will never allow.

Spoiler alert: He does.

This is a fun, fast read with lots of flirtation and little on-page action. The pace is brisk and the HEA is delayed enough to keep the pages flying. I really enjoyed!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adapted for Film.

Started Reading