Angela's Reviews > Along for the Ride

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

Sep 19, 2010

bookshelves: ya, romance, coming-of-age, contemporary
Read on September 16, 2010

Auden, a socially inept high school graduate, can't sleep. She's never bowled, never been in a food fight, never had a sleep over, and never rode a bike. Auden has spent her whole life trying to please her parents by being the perfect kid: aka not a kid at all. Enter Eli, a young man with a heart breaking secret and a love of questing, and Auden is about to find out what life is really all about.

I loved this novel. Dessen has an amazing way of making characters real, mixing the heart wrenchingly sad with wit and charm. The secondary characters added so much to this novel. Auden's new girlfriends were adorable. And the bike shop boys had me laughing out loud.

I did get slightly frustrated with the story. I think it's the pattern I see emerging with Dessen novels (the rest of this review might be considered a SPOILER to some. Please read at your own discretion): Girl (who has issues) meets boy (who is issued but normally has already learned from said issue and grown up or may be is healing from said issue). Girl and boy become close. Girl and boy have a moment. Girl does something immediately after said moment to break things off with the boy. Girl learns a life lesson. Girl finds boy and explains her epiphany. Annnd the end. (Seriously, it's as bad as a cut scene in the middle of their first kiss.)

I love it, don't get me wrong. I just wish that the girl didn't ALWAYS screw up the relationship and maybe some other plot twist could keep them apart or maybe, just maybe, they didn't have to be kept apart*gasp* I know, right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Along for the Ride.