Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)'s Reviews > The Summoning

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Sep 19, 2010

bookshelves: 2011-read-list, class-young-adult, book-first-in-series, genre-paranormal
Read from July 26 to 27, 2011

Wow, this is one creepy, paranormal-thriller YA book... and an awesome beginning of a trilogy.

I was caught by the summary of the book when I first added it to my to-read list, but I never seemed to find the time to start the trilogy. In the period it took me to place it under currently-reading I was again and again pleasantly surprised by the positive reviews it got all over Goodreads.

Did I like it? Yes, I loved it (and the stars are 4.5, actually)! It was one hell of a thriller for a YA. The characters were good, the relationships well-interwoven, the plot - intriguing. There was action, there was mystery, there was tension and there was friendship. There was also development - by the end of the book Chloe had changed a great deal, and in a good way. Another thing that caught me was the mix of mythological powers with secret science experimentation. The ending was brutal - I was all, come on, it can't be just that - it was as if the author had taken the scissors and cut her manuscript in the middle of a chapter. Good thing the trilogy's all out (I'd probably be onto the next book really soon).

I can't help but compare this one to Blue is for Nightmares - another thriller/paranormal YA which I read some months ago. I had heard a lot about it, too, and I was so excited I bought the paperback... but it kind of disappointed me. I was afraid this one would follow suit, but it totally didn't.

Still, for the fans of the Blue is for Nightmares series, this is a good one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summoning.

07/26/2011
15.0% "This is great so far. Creepy... but great for it."

message 1: by Rhea (new) - added it

Rhea Кели е чудесен автор, трябва да пробваш и поредицата ѝ за възрастни.

Adi (Reading in the Windowseat) Da, opredeleno si mislq da gi po4na... kato mi ostane vreme XD 4e dosta mi se sabraha na up-next =)

Natasha It is an awesome book hope you like the rest of the series!
I did.