Elaine's Reviews > The Ice Twins

The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne

did not like it
bookshelves: am-i-thrilled, good-idea-expected-better, hot-mess

I don't think I read the same book as most people, from the mostly 4 to 5 star reviews I'm seeing here.

This book wasn't a thriller. It wasn't scary. It was just words on a page.

But, oh, like so many novels with great concepts, the execution fell flat.

I mean, come on, a plot with kids or babies in it has the potential to be a good old fashioned scare. Thanks, the Shining! The Omen!

But I wasn't scared at all. I was too busy hating on the parents.

Ugly, resentful, mean people who, in real life, most likely belong together, except they have children together.

It wasn't a good old fashioned scare. It was a good old fashioned cliche.

1. The young wife with little skills, financial resources and an unhappy childhood. And an adulterer.

2. The alcoholic husband with control issues, a bad temper and an unhappy childhood. Also an adulterer.

3. When your family is in turmoil, move far away. Better yet, move to an extremely desolate, isolated, bleak island where your neighbors are miles away because nothing can go wrong now. Nothing bad can come from this. Nope. I see only good things happening to this family now.

4. Let's take it one step further; the house you've moved into is in a 'thin place.' Of course! You've just lost one child to a horrible accident. What are the odds you will move into a scary, lonely cottage in the middle of nowhere that is also a conduit to the netherworld especially after you've suffered a devastating loss? No. It's not a coincidence at all.

5. Vengeful ghosts. This is not so much a cliche as its already been done countless times, most notably by the Japanese because if no one pulls any punches with horror, its the Japanese, thank God. But it wasn't scary. Some examples include:

Ooh, I see Kirstie in the mirror? Or do I?

She's holding her stuffed animal. And now she isn't!

She's singing in her twin's voice. And when I walk into her room, she's stopped! Who was that?

OMG, are you scared?

Who, me? Uh...no.

Other things I've noticed include:

6. How much Gus and Sarah 'wanted' each other, 'desired' each other, wanted to *bleep* each other, which I felt was completely out of context since there is no previous mention of their sexual compatibility, there was no characterization, no exposition, just a very brief recap of how they met one another. It was as if the author wanted to elude they married because of sexual chemistry, not much else.

7. Serious colon and semi-colon abuse. I have no idea if its the editor or author's fault but there was a colon/semi-colon feeding frenzy. As far as the eye can see!

Overall, the writing is fine, nothing to write home about but the execution was flawed, the characters are unlikeable, stupid and near unforgiveable but just as importantly, it was NOT SCARY.

A bit of a hot mess but more of a lingering disappointment. Like with most of the books I've read recently so nothing new here.

Let's move on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ice Twins.

March 10, 2015 – Shelved
page 180
June 1, 2015 – Finished Reading
June 2, 2015 – Shelved as: good-idea-expected-better
March 17, 2018 – Shelved as: hot-mess

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Dianne Thank God for likeminded people! I can't understand why people voted for this in best books of 2015

Enter Yes! So many colons and dashes and semicolons and choppy sentence fragments. And the sexual stuff was just...weird. Especially the scene where their clearly disturbed daughter is having a breakdown in her room and they go do it. Disturbed children seeing ghosts, yeah, that’s sexy.

Elaine Abby wrote: "Yes! So many colons and dashes and semicolons and choppy sentence fragments. And the sexual stuff was just...weird. Especially the scene where their clearly disturbed daughter is having a breakdown..."

This book was creepy in all the WRONG ways. Maybe that’s why it read as if an editor never proofread it before it went to print.

Thanks for writing!