Hans's Reviews > The Assassin

M 50x66
Sep 18, 2010

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** 2.5 stars. [And lots of spoilers.]

The character arcs become a little more apparent as they build from the first novel. Not bad follow-up, but I would have saved the main bad guy for book 3. But once Vanderveen was in the story, it was good that he was out by the end of the book. It was getting nearly to the point of one-too-many escapes that just couldn't be justified when our Big Bad has such depth and breadth in his evil training.

Being picky, I found the gag with the chapter headings mentioning the location to be a bit of a bother when the chapter break occurred mid-scene* and also when the location didn't change for numerous chapters.

Not sure what to think about the surprises in the twist ending, but as a reading completist, I'll pick up the next book to find out what happens. It seemed like our lady assassin should have gone after Harper much sooner after the aftermath of the failed bomb in NYC**. Not sure why she didn't simply go take care of the unfinished business the next day or even week, because I think that was supposed to be at least a month later. Oh yeah, and the secret daughter of Saddam Hussein who is pregnant with the conceived-in-violent-sex child of the dead assassin...all that really should drop the book to 2 stars. Guess I'm feeling generous.

*straight from the James Patterson school of novel writing.

**I checked the spoilers box for a reason!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin.