Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~'s Reviews > Furies of Calderon

Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher

liked it
bookshelves: owned, year-2016, 3-star

Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I was thoroughly entertained reading Furies of Calderon. Was it groundbreaking? No. But it was fun, and I really enjoyed the characters. The plot is heavily based in the politics of Alera, so it definitely appeals to me on that level. I am interested to continue and see what happens in the rest of the series.

If you're looking for an amazing writing style...maybe look elsewhere. Lots of repetition of phrases and words. LOTS. So much so that it was distracting to me as the reader to keep hearing the same descriptions over and over again. As for the other aspects of the writing style, it got the job done. I had no problem imagining what was happening, but there wasn't anything particularly wonderful about how Jim Butcher wrote his book.

I would recommend this series for people who are intimidated by high fantasy and maybe want to dip a toe in without committing to the intricate web of characters and intense lore that can sometimes be associated with the genre. The magic system & mythology of this world are interesting, but there isn't so much going on that you can't keep it straight. I imagine as the story builds on itself it will get more complicated, but overall I found the world very manageable.

Excited to read the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furies of Calderon.

March 9, 2015 – Shelved
page 415
September 16, 2016 – Finished Reading
February 4, 2017 – Shelved as: year-2016
May 29, 2017 – Shelved as: 3-star

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party "Was it groundbreaking? No. But it was fun, and I really enjoyed the characters."

That's exactly how I feel about R.A. Salvatore at times! He doesn't really come up with too many new concepts, but, wow, are his books fun to read! :D

Great review, Mary!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party" wrote:
"That's exactly how I feel about R.A. Salvatore at times! He doesn't really come up with too many new concepts, but..."

Hey thanks so much David! :)
I haven't read any is Salvatore yet but he's definitely on my list!

message 3: by edge of bubble (new)

edge of bubble repetition makes me bloodthirsty! so I'll stay away from this book, but I loved your review =)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Oh thank you my love! Yes the repetition is literally cringeworthy in this book lol like did the editor even try