Tiffany Liu's Reviews > Glass Sword

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

Mar 08, 2015

did not like it
bookshelves: 1-star, disappointing-sequel, dystopian, fantasy, ya

Glass Sword was a sort of excruciating read for me... I found Red Queen a little slow, the characters fell a little flat (except for Maven), but I loved loved loved the ending, which totally bumped up the rating.
Glass Sword was still slow, but even more so. Before the 300 page mark, there was a whole lot of nothing happening, with Mare and Co. running around to get newbloods -- no, wait, what really happened was a lot of very repetitive inner monologue (with writing that tried too hard to be pretty to the effect that it bored me), with Mare veering between self-hate, arrogance (because she's the super duper special lightning girl), and imagining Maven in every shadow. There's also a lot of Mare thinking Kilorn and Cal are too stupid to think for themselves. Really? Really? Look, I am totally fine with Mare going to dark places (see: 'except for Maven' above), but since this is from a first person aspect, reading all of Mare's inner monologue was almost a torture.
I had expected more character development, but besides Cameron, who arrived already developed and bursting with fire, the only person who seemed to change was Mare. And it was for the worse.
Maven makes a few guest appearances, but basically he had very little presence. It annoyed me -- we get this bomb at the end of Red Queen, and then Glass Sword follows up with literally nothing about Maven. Really? Really?
However, Victoria Aveyard still pulls off an incredible ending (though the events leading up to it did not speak to good planning in my idea), and when the plot really started rolling after page 300, it was good. If not for that, this would be a one-star book for me.
I don't know if I'm planning to read the third book, but come next year, it will certainly not be high on my list.
By the way, the overuse of italics is me mimicking the way Glass Sword was written, with way too many italics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glass Sword.

March 8, 2015 – Shelved
March 8, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 9, 2016 – Started Reading
March 9, 2016 –
page 64
14.41% "Sort of slow at the moment. I wish there was more Maven!"
March 9, 2016 –
page 129
29.05% "This is almost excruciatingly drawn out. Not a big fan of how it's written, with paragraph after paragraph of description and little dialogue. Were it condensed a bit more, the plot so far would be pretty good."
March 10, 2016 –
page 190
42.79% "How many times can one reaffirm that one has lost all trust and anyone can betray anyone and that one will persevere to rid the world of evil and that one imagines seeing said evil around every corner? Where isssss Mavennnnn, we needs him. (Gollum voice)"
March 11, 2016 –
page 250
March 11, 2016 –
page 322
72.52% "Alas! Here comes the plot! Better late than never."
March 12, 2016 – Finished Reading
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: 1-star
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: disappointing-sequel
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: dystopian
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: ya

Utopia-Wendy I was kinda debating whether to continue reading this book( gave up halfway) , I just really loved Maven

Tiffany Liu UPTOPIA-WENDY(Milly599) wrote: "I was kinda debating whether to continue reading this book( gave up halfway) , I just really loved Maven"

There was so little Maven in this I felt cheated... I saw that you gave up halfway! I kind of wanted to do that, but then I felt like the hardcover was too expensive for me to give up~~