Betsy's Reviews > Unincorporated War, The

bookshelves: audiobook, science-fiction, sci-fi
Recommended to Betsy by: Brass Needles Podcast
Read from March 09 to 25, 2011 — I own a copy

Audiobook, narrated by Eric G. Dove

I liked the first book better, The Unincorporated Man. This 2nd book in the series was a little too military sci-fi for me. I thought the first book had some very creative ideas behind it. Now Justin is the president of the Alliance (how did he go so fast from the One Free Man to the head of a huge Alliance at war?) and they're battling it out in space for most of the book. Book #1 raised questions that made you think, book #2 is more of a space opera.

I'm more interested in the original premise of the book: What would a society be like where individuals are incorporated and the value of their shares, which can be bought and sold, fluctuate as in today's stock market? I'm less interested in good guy vs. bad guy and what clever moves the armies used to win their battles.

On another note, I was a little disappointed that the Avatari, who have the potential to be quite an interesting aspect of the series, fought out their own war in much the same way as the humans. I was expecting them to have a more unusual approach to working out their conflicts.

I'm looking forward to Book #3 when it is eventually written. It seems logical that it will move away from military maneuvers and back into the area of characters and ideas. And by the way, the books are a continuing series - if you're a person who might get frustrated to be left with unresolved parts of the plot, wait until the 3rd book comes out before you read the first two.

I also preferred the narration for The Unincorporated Man, with one exception - this narrator, Eric G. Dove, gives the women substantial voices. The narrator in Book #1 tended to give them high-pitched, flighty voices.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unincorporated War, The.

03/20/2011