N.B.'s Reviews > Five Wounds

Five Wounds by Katharine Edgar

liked it
bookshelves: ya, historical-fiction

I would like to thank the group Insatiable Bookworms, and the author, Katharine Edgar, for giving me the opportunity to read Five Wounds in exchange for an honest review.

Katharine Edgar does an excellent job at portraying life in Tudor times by providing plenty of historic detail, effectively creating a great backdrop to the story. I also enjoyed the wealth of religious practice depicted throughout since it played such an important role. The author painted many beautiful scenes and the writing flowed very well for the most part. There were though a few too many scene jumps for me where, for instance, a dispute took place and in the next paragraph it seemed resolved or forgotten about. You can imagine how they might resolve their differences, but I would rather read a convincing paragraph on how that was achieved. The method used did well to keep the pace up; however, I felt that some scenes needed more work to string them together.

This has been a difficult book for me to rate because I went into it expecting something rather different to what I got. I was certainly interested in the premise, but the story didn’t really work for me. Although there were aspects I enjoyed, I felt the characterisation was lacking somewhat and this pressed negatively on some of the dialogue and interaction. Some lead characters felt a little undeveloped and one in particular who became something else towards the end of the story boggled my mind quite a lot; I’m still unsure what happened. As for Nan, I liked her at the start very much because she came across as a strong heroine to admire; her sound devotion to her family, faith, and bird, drew me in. But slowly little things started cropping up, mainly in her internal monologue, that I didn’t like in her character, and often these things made her such a hypocrite that I found it difficult to relate to her.

I should point out that I’m not the targeted audience being that this book is aimed at teenagers and I’m in my thirties. While reading this book, you cannot be in any doubt that a lot of hard work went into its creation. It just didn’t do it for me because of the above.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Wounds.

March 8, 2015 – Shelved