J.C.'s Reviews > A Farewell To Arms

A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway

Sep 17, 2010

bookshelves: favorite-shelf, favorites, literature, banned
Read 2 times. Last read September 7, 2012.

this was the first work of Hemingway that i've ever read. I picked it up because it was an old copy (it's cheap) and I've always spotted it in the film Evil Dead II (one of my favorites) and always wanted to read it because of that cameo.

His writing style blew me away, and had a profound impact on the way I myself write. The way he stripes it down to the core makes it fascinating to read and flow very well together. It is very precise but, to me, not dull or boring.

The story is a fantastic one, and in a major way, a tale that only Hemingway himself could tell. Read it when you want to read something deep, heavy, and with no sunshine in sight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Farewell To Arms.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Finished Reading
page 62
page 68
September 1, 2012 –
page 94
28.31% "reading it again for my class on the Lost Generation."
September 3, 2012 –
page 194
September 7, 2012 – Finished Reading
May 21, 2013 – Shelved as: literature
May 21, 2013 – Shelved as: banned
April 1, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
April 1, 2017 – Shelved as: lost-generation (Paperback Edition)

message 1: by Md (new) - rated it 3 stars

Md I agree completely. This was the first piece of Hemingway that I've ever read too and it was amazing. There's just something about the way he writes and the way his story is thought out and created that has a certain effect that makes you depressed, yet almost hopeful. I'm probably way off, but that's how I felt.

Paul Tracey I've always spotted it in the film Evil Dead II (one of my favorites) and always wanted to read it because of that cameo.//
ME TOO!!